2 way radios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZinLuvR

I need to find a full duplex radio with headsets and no push to talk.  Myself and my trusty co-pilot need to communicate during close quarters parking.  We currently use two way radios but they are not duplex and they have the push to talk buttons.  By the time my co-pilot can push the button, then speak, I have traveled a foot or more, depending.  In very tight quarters with the potential for damage, this is no good.  I did see what some were using a while back, can't remember where.  Anyone know of such an animal and where I can find one.  Money is a consideration.  Thanks.

One "free" idea:  If you both have cell phones and yours is connected by bluetooth in the cockpit, she calls you, you talk hands free through bluetooth.  I do not believe this is duplex, but there is no "push to talk" on either end.

Judy and I also use our phones. I put mine on speaker and good to go assuming we have a signal!?
But that doesn't answer your question does it?
I digress.

If using a push to talk radio is too slow, I wouldn't depend on cell phones. There can be a considerable lag there too.

ZinLuvR said:
I need to find a full duplex radio with headsets and no push to talk.  Myself and my trusty co-pilot need to communicate during close quarters parking.  We currently use two way radios but they are not duplex and they have the push to talk buttons.  By the time my co-pilot can push the button, then speak, I have traveled a foot or more, depending.  In very tight quarters with the potential for damage, this is no good.  I did see what some were using a while back, can't remember where.  Anyone know of such an animal and where I can find one.  Money is a consideration.  Thanks.

You could have her key the mic and keep talking to you until she say's STOP. If you need to talk to her, just stop backing up. When she see's that, she'll let the mic go and let you talk.

The issue is not the radio, but the spotter. If moving one foot is going to get you into trouble, a duplex radio isn't going to help.

Practice with hand signals and you won't even need a radio.

I made sure early on that I could back in any vehicle I owned unaided by a spotter. My mirrors give me good views on both sides, and I've equipped my coach with two rear view cameras, one aimed for the standard long view, and the other with a view from the rear bumper back about 15 feet. With that setup, I can back up within an inch or two of an obstruction with no assistance. The ability to back in unaided has become even more important over the years as my wife's mobility has declined. And of course, "GOAL" always applies when called for.

All this backing with mirrors may be fine and good until you deal with things like backing into a back lit garage, or when dealing with overhead limbs that barely clear the roof, but may not clear the air conditioner.

ps take a look at these, they are mostly marketed for motorcycle riders, and usually are packed with helmet mounted headset kits, but this one has an over the ear headset instead. https://www.amazon.com/Vnetphone-V6C-Bluetooth-Intercom-Communication/dp/B072FHXRRT/

Isaac-1 said:
All this backing with mirrors may be fine and good until you deal with things like backing into a back lit garage, or when dealing with overhead limbs that barely clear the roof, but may not clear the air conditioner.

Those situations are where GOAL (Get Out And Look) come into play. If I'm backing into a garage, I should be able to see the doorway in the mirrors, and have already assessed the space inside, although the rear view camera should help there as well. The point is that you will not always have a spotter available, so practice doing it unaided so you'll be prepared. Learn to more accurately estimate heights and widths for example.

Cell phones are a good solution, but if you want full deuplex 2-way radio, there are plenty available. Try Amazon and Ebay for starters.

Here are a couple:

https://www.amazon.com/Walkie-Talkie-Duplex-Thodukonics-Automatic/dp/B077YF8ND6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07411HGHP/

You might also consider a two-way radio with VOX (voice-activated talk) rather than pushbuttons.  A half-duplex headset with the VOX feature would let your spotter scream STOP at you!
There are walkie-talkie apps for cell phones too.  Some are PTT in the sense that you push to make the connection, but they act like a VOX walkie-talkie after. Phones are full duplex, so both can talk at the same time (which isn't necessarily a good thing except for emergency interruptions).

Thank you all for the replies.  We have been in places where two way communications would have made things so much easier.  A couple times is when you tell people you're coming in with a 45 ft. bus and they have you in a spot that is quite a challenge.  Trees, power lines and fixed objects.  As good as the mirrors are, they have blind spots.  We had one spot it took radios and 3 spotters to get us in, 30 minutes later.  Man, I needed a drink after that one.  :eek:

NY_Dutch said:
Those situations are where GOAL (Get Out And Look) come into play. If I'm backing into a garage, I should be able to see the doorway in the mirrors, and have already assessed the space inside, although the rear view camera should help there as well. The point is that you will not always have a spotter available, so practice doing it unaided so you'll be prepared. Learn to more accurately estimate heights and widths for example.

I have probably driven over 5,000 miles solo in my coach in the last 2 years, so I fully understand using back up camera, mirrors, and  get out and look.  However I also see having a good spotter as a tool, and anything that makes that tool more effective is a good thing.

Personally I wouldn't want to depend on cell phones because too many campgrounds etc. don't have cell coverage or it's very poor and could cut out at a critical time.  We use hand signals.

ArdraF

One of our biggest issues is where we store the coach.  It's a public storage that is enclosed on all sides and covered.  Only opening is for backing in.  Trouble is no lighting.  When backing in the sun keeps me from seeing my co-pilot and I have to stop with only a couple inches to spare and can't see any hand signals, not even the one when my co-pilot signals I'm number one. ;D

My spotter just isn't really good at the concept.  Recently, I have changed things up.  I let her back truck/trailer.  I tell her exactly how with the 2 way push button.  Heck, I'd prefer to blindfold her so she didn't contradict my instructions.  Anyways, Last camp spot, this worked perfect.

You might try these. This set comes with earpieces and can be set up to be voice activated so no need to push the PTT switch on the radio. Programming can be a little difficult, but if you are or can find somebody that is a bit "techy", these would work great for you.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018EUOYX6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B018EUOYX6&pd_rd_wg=xrgxj&pd_rd_r=PD5E17N7SQSZX9450P6K&pd_rd_w=rzIEe

Usually do it alone, but when she is available I use my wife.  Our rear view camera has audio - I just turn it up and can here her screaming without a problem.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom