hanging a flat screen over a window.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeylikesit

so, I'm putting a flat screen TV on the wall opposite the bed in our 35' Pace Arrow......I'm having a difficult time finding a "stud" to attach the TV mount to.

How are these things framed?  I need to secure the wall plate to something.    The window frame seems sturdy enough.  I took my studfinder into the coach and could not really make any sense of "studs" or Framing members.

Anybody with a similar coach have details on the framing of these things?  Is there a reason NOT to secure a 49" (w) x 12" (t)  piece of plywood to the window frame, to attach the TV mount to?  I'm thinking a piece of 9 ply baltic birch plywood (1/2") would do the trick......
It's not a very heavy TV... ( 49" class Flat Screen.....~25#)

thanks folks!

there is framing, usually aluminum around the window. You could probably drill a pilot hole and then add a few screws.

mikeylikesit said:
Is there a reason NOT to secure a 49" (w) x 12" (t)  piece of plywood to the window frame

Structurally no, but you could be blocking an emergency escape route

They are framed "helter-skelter", with basically no regular spacing or standardized methods as in a site built house.  There is very probably framing around the window, but not necessarily exactly at the edges.  The nearest frame piece may be several inches away, with either simple spacers between the inner & outer sidewall skins or even nothing right at the window edge. RV windows basically just clamp to the walls in most cases, so you may not find a frame to screw into right at the edges. You just have to tap for solid-sounds or even drill tiny pilot holes to find something solid.  Consider removing the window so you can see in between the skins and locate whatever framing may exist. It's not terribly difficult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuVSRpjGCA

If you happen to have a thermal camera (flir one for smartphones is about $250-300), you can crank the heat or AC and that will usually show you where there is a thermal bridge in the wall. I did that on my house this winter. I could see exactly where all of my studs were without a single hole. But those are wood. I am not sure how well it would show metal studs. It's an idea though.

Depending upon the size of your TV, you could probably use sheet rock screws. 

They are framed "helter-skelter"

Hahaaa. Why am I not surprised?

We have a 2005 Pace Arrow 35G.  As someone suggested, knock on the walls.  The walls adjacent to the valances of our motorhome sound pretty solid.  Pilot holes as suggested and then some self taping screws to secure a mounting bracket.  A 25 lb TV shouldn't be much of a problem. 

Back
Top Bottom