Traveling through the Rockies should I have a diesel or gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinks373

First time trailering.  2004 Terry weight 6625 with a GVWR just under 10000 lbs.  I plan to travel from Florida across the US and going into the Rockies is where I am concerned.  I want enough power to pull.  I have been looking at the new F150s ads that claim they can pull up 13,000 lb.  I don't even know if a F150 or F250 is what I need and my niece said to look at RAMS.  I am confused and need some advise.  Thank you.

I would not tow over Eisenhower grade in anything less than a 250, preferably a one ton. Eisenhower is over 11,000 feet in elevation. Air is extremely  thin.

How many times do you plan on making a trip through the mountains? We live on the door step of the Rockies -Calgary Alberta 70 miles from Banff and dr ive the mountains 10 times a year or more pulling 15000lbs of 5er And get 11.5 mpg.  my old truck with a 6.2l gas pulling less than 7500 lbs would get about 6 mpg.

Ford Ram Gm they all make good trucks and are almost the same but i wouldnt want to do it in less than a 250/2500.
Yes a saw a f150 pulling a Grand Design 5er the other day on the highway between Calgary and Edm traffic was doing 75-80 this guy was struggling at 55 and did not look happy

Welcome!!!

The important thing to worry about is the carrying capacity of the trucks in question. Whether they are a F150, F250, 2500 etc means little as they can ALL have different carrying capacities,(CCC or payload) even within each model lineup, often due to the trim level etc. of the given truck. The published numbers usually reflect the basic truck with few options, so the numbers always look better than they are. You need to do the math to determine what you require with that trailer and then compare that to the sticker on the INDIVIDUAL truck (the CCC or Payload) that interests you. DO NOT believe the truck salesman, his primary goal is his commission.

There are many examples here on the math needed and there are several websites that can do it for you.

Gas or diesel? Both would be able to "pull" that trailer but a diesels engine brake would be a nice addition in those mountains, may be a little cheaper on fuel in the long run but it will be somewhat more expensive initially.

You will like pulling with the diesel better  than with a gas engine, but either will do the job.  If you are the type to get impatient if you get slowed down below the speed limit, you probably want the diesel.

A 10,000 lb trailer is beyond the practical capability of nearly all half ton (F150/1500) trucks, whether GM, Ford or Ram, and whether gas or diesel.  You will find some 150/1500's rated to tow more than 10k lbs, but they typically lack the cargo carrying capacity to handle the trailer tongue weight plus passengers & gear in the truck. 

SeilerBird said:
I would not tow over Eisenhower grade in anything less than a 250, preferably a one ton. Eisenhower is over 11,000 feet in elevation. Air is extremely  thin.
I have traveled this route with a trailer around the same weight you are going to be pulling. The first time, I used my brothers F-150, rated to pull the trailer. Going up to the tunnel was very difficult, 15 MPH and revving very high RPM's, but going down was actually scary. I had to keep the truck in second gear and was creeping down the mountain. After reaching the bottom, we let the truck "rest" for over an hour before continuing to NW Colorado through Steamboat. The next year, pulling the same trailer with my F-250 diesel, I had no problems going up and the engine brake was a godsend going down. BTW...we had no problems pulling the trailer with the F-150 until we got west of Denver around Golden. Yes, the diesel will be more expensive to purchase, and the upkeep will be higher, but I will never go back to a gas truck as long as I have my TT. I also agree with others here that all of the 250/350/2500/3500 trucks are about the same so just get the one you like and have a safe trip. 

As Ray points out it is not a question of can the RV tow the toad. Of course it can. The issue is can it tow it safely, can it stop safely and will it handle cross wind and semi trucks passing you. The more truck the better.

twinks373 said:
First time trailering.  2004 Terry weight 6625 with a GVWR just under 10000 lbs.  I plan to travel from Florida across the US and going into the Rockies is where I am concerned.  I want enough power to pull.  I have been looking at the new F150s ads that claim they can pull up 13,000 lb.  I don't even know if a F150 or F250 is what I need and my niece said to look at RAMS.  I am confused and need some advise.  Thank you.

If you want enough power to pull - don't cut yourself short.
That F150 that can tow 13,000 is likely on flat land, with one person on board and no cargo in the truck etc.
Going up or down hills or mountains is a different ballgame.

First time trailering?  IMO there is a big advantage to having a diesel when trailering. You can fuel up at truck stops which
have straight pull-thru lanes with no backing up involved.  Some gas stations can be a nightmare compared to diesel truck lanes.
Something to think about?

Also IF there is any possibility that someday you could upgrade and get a little bigger TT or a 5th wheel the bigger the truck the better
for the chance you can still use it with a bigger RV.  Getting a gas unit that is able to tow what you have now may not work with another RV.
For the most part there is no such thing as too much truck.
IMO I would buy a used diesel truck (to save some money) and know that it would do the job I wanted it too.

As far as which, brand it's more personal preference as any are capable as long as you read the numbers.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. 

A modern 250/2500 model truck with a gas engine (Ford V10, GM or Ram V8) will get over the hump and tow-haul mode engine braking will get you down OK.  With some driver caution, to be sure.  The diesel will do it at lower rpms and less grunting, and a diesel exhaust or engine brake will handle the downside better as well.  However, one being better does not mean the other is inadequate.

Most 150/1500 trucks are configured for passenger comfort and fuel economy rather than heavy towing and hauling.  It should not be surprising that a typical F150 has to struggle with a heavy trailer on a steep grade at high altitude. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Perhaps this one...  ;) ;)

Not that one, it is powered by an electric motor.  Half way up the mountain you will need to stop and recharge the batteries overnight.  :D

I would not consider teh F-150/Chevy 10 class for towing 10 K, A 350 yes. a 150 no a 250 Id need to read the ratings.

Gas or diesel is not the issue.. 150 is not enough for a 10K trailer in my opinion.

John From Detroit said:
I would not consider teh F-150/Chevy 10 class for towing 10 K, A 350 yes. a 150 no a 250 Id need to read the ratings.

Gas or diesel is not the issue.. 150 is not enough for a 10K trailer in my opinion.

I agree, 150 is NOT a solution.

I have driven I70 from Denver to Grand Junction many times,  once with a 7000 lb TH and a Tundra 5.7 and now with my
current Ram 2500 CTD setup with 9000 lbs..  you will regret every minute of high elevation driving with a half ton and that load.

We have been up and down several steep grades during our 3 years in the West, 14% the other day on highway 12 and whilst we go down to 1 or 2 mpg it is not for long and the engine is fine.  On the way down we get 99 mpg  :eek:

Check the individual truck for the CCC, we looked at several 2500s and some were very poor.

Good luck.

Diesel engines have very little engine braking on their own, they need an external exhaust brake to hold back on hills.

Gas engine "compression" braking is a misnomer.  Compression acts a spring, with the energy expended during the compression cycle returned as the piston goes over top dead center.

Gas engine braking comes from the energy the engine expends sucking air past the closed throttle plate in the intake.  So it's more appropriate to call it vacuum braking.

Diesel engines don't have a throttle plate, their air intake is wide open all the time so they don't have this means to provide engine braking.  They need an exhaust brake, a similar restriction that closes off the exhaust instead of the air intake.

You need an exhaust brake if you're going to rely on diesel engine braking in the mountains.

A Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine has plenty of power?375 HP and 470 torque. The engine has a reputation as a towing monster and mine certainly was, it took Monteagle and Fancy Gap in the east no sweat. And the motor does very well in towing tests done climbing to the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado.

As for payload even fancy ?soccer dad? F-150s run the 1800 pound range and heavy duty payload package models can bring the payload to over 3000 pounds, more than a 250 with a diesel. Indeed some 250 diesels have anemic payloads not much over 2000 pounds.

I think the receiver on the F-150 is rated at 1220 pounds so that could be a limiting factor depending on the tongue weight of a 10,000 pound trailer.

As long as your tow vehicle is rated for the load, its just a matter of how fast you get there. Gas engines do lose power with altitude (turbo's less so), but you will make it. We frequently towed our 5000 pound Keystone Passport over the I-70 tunnels with a Nissan Armada. At times we were less than 40 mph and gas mileage really sucked, but we got there with no problems. We now have a gas engine Class A (F-53 V10) towing a Jeep Cherokee and we get there fine. Gas mileage on the way up still sucks, but now we have an 80 gallon tank. It just requires a bit of patience and make sure your cooling system is in good shape. We've never had an overheating problem, or even close, but an old vehicle running at near its load limit might have some issues.

Going down is the harder part. You need to downshift and keep off the brakes. When you start going too fast, slow down to 5-10 MPH less than you'd like to go and allow the rig to speed back up if it wants too. This gives the brakes a chance to cool down between applications. Tow/Haul on the F-53 is great for this, but the engine is running at high RPM's. But its built for that.

These new gas engines are making twice the HP and nearly the same TQ that diesels were making 15-20 years ago but we never considered those diesels to be underpowered.

OP, if the suspension will handle it, hook it up and go!

Because I like traveling in comfort without worrying about the air wash from semis, I have always used at least a 3/4 ton Diesel. My trailers are typically less than 10,000 fully loaded, and the Diesel actually drives better towing than when solo.

Peace of mind is worth the extra cost of the heavy Diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom