Simple, possibly stupid, question about inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dooger54 said:
I am looking at buying a 1200w AIMS inverter.  It has connections for AC power in.  What would that be for??

That is most likely so the AC power will be switched through the inverter using a built-in ATS (automatic transfer switch). When connected to  shore power, the inverter will be in idle mode (not producing AC) and the power on the associated outlets is supplied by shore power. When the shore power is not present then the AC power is supplied by the inverter itself and is generated from the 12V system.

Dooger54 said:
I am looking at buying a 1200w AIMS inverter.  It has connections for AC power in.  What would that be for??
The inverter has a built in 10 amp transfer switch.  You would wire the "AC in" connection to the main AC circuit breaker in the RV and the "AC out" to the 120V AC outlets in the RV. 

Ok, yes it does have a built in transfer switch which I was not plan on using.  If I wanted to wire the inverter to my main AC circuit panel (in the rear of our TT) I would have to run battery cables up to the battery bank in front of the TT, about 30 feet.  The cables would need to be 2 gauge or even 0 gauge and I am not thrilled about doing that.

I used the AIMS 1200 for my residential fridge installation and used the 120vac passthrough as well as inverting. It was nowhere near the main 120v panel and about 12 wire-feet from the fridge.

Why would wiring through your main power panel require long battery cables? The inverter should be mounted close to the batteries, but you can run the 120v wiring longer distances, both to the Aims for the AC in and from it for power output.  The higher voltage of the 120vac makes longer distances practical.  14 gauge wire will readily deliver 10A more than 25 ft.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I used the AIMS 1200 for my residential fridge installation and used the 120vac passthrough as well as inverting. It was nowhere near the main 120v panel and about 12 wire-feet from the fridge.

Why would wiring through your main power panel require long battery cables? The inverter should be mounted close to the batteries, but you can run the 120v wiring longer distances, both to the Aims for the AC in and from it for power output.  The higher voltage of the 120vac makes longer distances practical.  14 gauge wire will readily deliver 10A more than 25 ft.

Duh, you're right, I wasn't thinking.  Just trying to get my head around how to wire it all.  I am also looking at an Iota DLS-55 charger to use running off my 3100 watt Champion generator.  I am interested in that because their Turbo controller will supposedly charge my battery bank up to 50% faster than my on-board controller.  That way when I am boondocking I don't have to run the genny so long.  Tying that all together is taxing my limited brain power.

The converter in question has a 10 amp Automatic Transfer switch. if AC is present on the IN it switches to "pass through" and the inverter goes into standby.

Another RVer in another forum ordered one and shipped it back 48 hours later.
That inverter needs at least a 20 amp transfer in my humble opinion.

NOT sure the problem was with the router in his case.. but I did not have eyes on, only what he typed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom