Harbour frieght

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recommendation: Don't go to Harbor Freight, their stuff is garbage.

Look online for an Interstate or Trojan dealer.

I'm a fan of Harbor freight but I don't think I would be buying my batteries there. In addition to the above suggestions, if you are buying batteries on a budget, go to Sam's or Costco. If there's a Pasco in your area, they would be a decent place to get batteries also.

Like others have said stay away from Harbor Freight for batteries.  I once heard and probably has some truth to it, "only a rich person can afford cheap batteries".  I will not buy anything electrical from HF after having to take several electrical related tools back for everything from not working at all, to not lasting to one that started to smoke badly.  Some of their other stuff is ok.

I am an avid DIYer, as well as someone who works with a high-end tool company that ends with -on.
The discussion (debate, argument, yelling match) about why someone should pay big bucks for the best tools comes up on a regular basis.

The best answer is that if your depending on your tools for your job, all day long, day after day, you need the best.
If you are just going to use a tool every now and then, cheaper is ok.

Some of the impact sockets from harbor freight are actually dangerous because the metal is too brittle?not weak, brittle. You want a tiny amount of give in the metal if you are stressing it out. Otherwise you could get into a shrapnel situation.

As far as batteries in an RV, I think they fall into the "depending on it all day, every day" category so I wouldn't skimp with batteries. A high-quality battery is totally worth the price. And I am totally jazzed about the "Genius" line of battery trickle chargers for stored batteries. Fantastic products.

I have DEKA and so far very happy. Used to have interstate and was happy there.

A Golf Car store or Trojan's or Sam's club Or Costco.

Remember. IF it says MARINE/deep cycle that is NOT a deep cycle battery.

GC-series (both GC-2 (Takes two of them to make 12 volts) and GC-12 (12 volt) are DEEP CYCLE batteries.

Harbor Freight tools are OK for a tool that you are likely only using for a few jobs. I have purchased a number of them and have been satisfied. For tools that I use a lot, I pay more and get better tools.

I have purchased 3 of the Harbor Freight 6.5 HP engines at a cost of $99 each.  These engines are a clone of the Honda 6.5 engine that costs $350 each.  I used the engines on my 3 Cyclekarts and have been very happy with them.  I also have one of the $89 dollar 1000 watt HF generators that I have used to recharge my TT batteries when boon docking.  It is ok to recharge the batteries enough to run the refrigerator (gas) and lights, but not much else.

I have had limited success with Harbor Freight, and so I usually only purchase disposable tools, that is, tools that will last one or two jobs but are perfect for those jobs where a more expensive one time use tool doesn't make good sense to purchase. I have a tool kit for my Jeep with a selection of these tools.

People will borrow my tools on the trail at times, so I use the Harbor Freight tools to loan out, not caring if they come back. Unless of course it's a heavy duty use, then I open the bag with the good stuff.

The HF debate is irrelevant because the largest 12v battery they carry is only 35AH (and the other is 10AH). No where near large enough for RV use.

It's far more important to select the size and type of battery that will meet your needs.  Not everybody needs the best and the biggest.  For some needs and budgets, a size 24 Marine/RV deep cycle from Walmart will be sufficient. For others, greater amp-hour capacity and more frequent deep discharge cycles may be more suitable.

Please read my Library article titled Choosing an RV Battery.  http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this. The only thing I bought at harbour freight was stick on rubber mat for my rv step!
Went to a battery store for a new battery and got expert advice and the right battery for my needs at a decent price ?? Now back to the fridge issue...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom