Towing our Odyssey: How scared should I be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

I've done MANY searches in an attempt to determine whether we could safely tow our 2012 Honda Odyssey EX. As one might expect there's folks out there that say "don't do it" and others who report they've towed their Odyssey for years with no issues. Below is the info I get on Remco's site which would seem to suggest-- if I'm reading it correctly-- that it's indeed possible EXCEPT that "officially" they have to say don't do it since that's Honda's position. Basically an accountability based statement to protect themselves-- quite understandable.

Anyone out there towing their Ody successfully? Would it be best to forget towing with a bar and look at dolly options? We anticipate purchasing a Jayco Precept 31UL or similar:

• Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
  • When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
  • Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Another place to check for information is the Odyssey owners group.
http://www.odyclub.com

Ah-- why didn't I think of that!  :)

I actually joined that group back when we were first buying our Odyssey. I see the vast majority of "towing" related posts there concern the Ody as the "tower" not the "towee" but there are a few encouraging comments to make me think if may be possible. Just need some info specific to our model/year to avoid a scenario like "sure it's possible, unless you have [what we have]". Not the kind of thing you'd want to experiment with without knowing for sure!

It's not a simple question to answer. The wheels don't fall off just because you tow it a mile - it's a matter of heat and wear & tear.  The imponderable is how much and how quickly, and that varies widely with factors such as distance, speed, ambient temperature, etc.

Honda isn't just playing safe - they have allowed towing for some models for years.  At first semi-officially and later with full factory warranty coverage.  Apparently they have sufficient failure data to feel that there is some risk in towing the Odyssey, beyonf what they are willing to warranty.  You may never encounter the conditions where the risks become reality, or you may hit it in the first 300 miles. 

The input from Remco and other owners suggests you will probably fall into the "no worries" category.  Let's hope so... :))

And, being realistic, Honda says don't tow it.  Are you willing to pay the price if you do tow it and something like the transmission fails?  I doubt they would replace it under warranty because you didn't play their game.  You  takes your chances....

ArdraF

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The input from Remco and other owners suggests you will probably fall into the "no worries" category.  Let's hope so... :))

I'm reminded of the scene from Dirty Harry:
You have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do 'ya punk??  ;D​

Thanks for the input. I'll continue to do the research but at this point unless I come with some definitive reason why I can't tow I'm leaning toward giving it a go.

Back
Top Bottom