Norcold 462 fridge lukewarm, freezer cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poweredbycaffeine

Hi all! My husband and I full-time in a Monterrey 25lt (1991 model). Yesterday night after we got home from work, I noticed that the fridge was warmish and the freezer was cool. The ice that usually accumulates on the fins was melted, and the food was off-temp. We are running it on electric (haven't tried it on gas yet) and it has always worked fine up until now. What do y'all think is wrong?
A few things to note:
--About 2 days ago, my husband filled the freezer up with water bottles to freeze. They never fully froze. He took them out this morning and the
freezer is now noticeably cooler, but the fridge is still warm.
--I have it on the coldest setting.
--We are in south Texas, with temps in the upper nineties/low hundreds in the day and the seventies at night.
--We've been using the fridge full-time since we moved in in February. The camper has had just 3 owners including us, and was lightly used.
--Fridge is on the sunny side of the camper. I put up some boards this morning to shade it, and placed a fan inside the compartment. The components in there are very hot.

I read somewhere the RV fridges are usually only good for around 10 years. Well, seeing that ours is almost 30 years old, do y'all think it's just time for a new one? Could we buy a normal mini fridge and put it in that spot, and would that be cheaper?

I know this is a lot of questions! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :)

If it were not for the very high ambient temperatures, I would be guessing that your cooling unit is failing.  You wouldn't need a whole new fridge and a new cooling unit is a practical DIY repair.  However, try that shade and fan for a day and see if it helps - it could simply be a case of inadequate air flow over the back of  the fridge.

Read some more in this recent topic about extreme high & low ambient temperatures and the effect on absorption fridges:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,114340.0.html

As for only lasting 10 years, that is an internet falsehood. Many absorption fridges run for 30 years or more, while others may only see 2-3 years.  And anywhere in between.  External rust, internal corrosion, and frequent overheating can  take a severe toll on the usable life of an RV fridge, yet none of that is very visible until the day it no longer cools adequately.

Also, if you're not very level absorption refrigerators don't work very well.

ArdraF

If your freezer is cooling normally (or close to it) and the fridge is not, check the door seals. Even a small leak will cause significant warming in the fridge. Use the tried and true dollar bill test. Close the door with a dollar bill in various places around the seal and pull it out. There should be some resistance, if the bill slips out easily you have found the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom