Best way to get from Route 9 to Route 1 in Maine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krow

Hi. We'll be travelling from NB to the Bar Harbour (actually Sullivan) area in Maine next week. We'll take Route 9 from Calais but are wondering which route to take off of that to get to our destination. The map shows several possibilities, seemingly from shortest to longest distance:

1) R193 to R1
2) R179 to R1
3) R179 to R200 to R1
4) R181 to R180 to R1A to R1
5) R46 to 1A to R1
6) R1 all the way from Calais (The other routes avoid most of Rte 1. The last time along this was a few years ago and it was quite rough at that time. If it's been upgraded, this might be the best route.)

We're bumper pulling a 30ft trailer. I'm wondering which route would be in the best shape and be safest to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Krow, I came across ehe Airline route a couple of weeks ago and it is ok, with minimal winter damage.  However, I have never taken the cut throughs so can't comment on their condition.  Google maps is recommending HWY 179 from Aurora to Ellsworth, about 25 miles so even if it is slow, it is likely the best route.

Ed

Thanks,  Ed.  I've been down some of those roadways,  can't remember which and the latest being a few years years ago, but on a motorcycle.  I remember some being a bit rough and some narrow and twisty. I'm thinking the rough ones have likely been upgraded since then and the good ones may now be in hard shape.

Travelling mid week (next Wed) I may be just as well off heading down Route 1 straight from Calais. But am wondering what shape that is in, too.

Thanks again for your response,  the only one I got here or on another unrelated forum.

Make sure to let us know. We're planning a trip out that was next summer.

Route 1 between St. Stephens and Route 189 was in pretty tough shape a few years ago when we made a stop at Campobello Island.

Thanks, Happy.  I was really hoping I'd get some recent information but doesn't look like it's coming. Maybe I'll ask the guard at the border which way s/he would take LOL!.

Was in Bar Harbour  2 weekends ago. Came up from Kenebuck not across but can tell you your good to Ellsworth but construction  Desert Island to Bar Harbour.

jhskick said:
Was in Bar Harbour  2 weekends ago. Came up from Kenebuck not across but can tell you your good to Ellsworth but construction  Desert Island to Bar Harbour.
:))

Heading out this am.  I think we'll try 179.  If we make it,  I'll post back; if not... LOL!!

Wish I had seen this sooner, although I am not sure how much help I would have been.. The OP should be OK with 179. Not sure what he meant by Rte. 1 was "rough." If it was under construction, that could be true of any road in Maine this time of year. If it was particularly difficult for an RV, I don't recall much difference between Rtes. 1 and 179, but it has been a while since I drove 179.

Update... we took Route 179.  It was in great shape.  Two lane with no paved shoulders or passing lanes. Curvy but a nice country drive on mostly smooth roadway.  The portions of Rte 1 that we travelled on (ie ~an hour each side of Ellsworth) were great as well.  Maybe we could have done as well taking Route 1 right from Calais instead of the Airline(Rte 9).

Traffic already steady in the Bar Harbour/Ellsworth area.  I wouldn't want to be there in full season - July and Aug. Also,  in Bar Harbor itself, there is major roadworks underway right now - looks like sewer lines being replaced(??).  There a one-way circle through the town.  Don't know how long that will be going on.

Thanks to all that replied.

Back
Top Bottom