Blocking front of Pop UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blakerandy

Hi, I'm new at this but have a question regarding bracing the front of my Coleman Utah.

I have just been using the front trailer jack to level the unit but on our last trip we noticed several people were putting the front hitch area on blocks.

It would seem to me that if I were to do that I would be better off blocking across the front of the frame.

Any thoughts?

I always used a block both on our popup and our TTs mostly just so I would not have to crank the jack as much. It's just an option. If you do block it, avoid using a 4x4 as they can roll either side to side or front to back. Either use something like a 2x6 or 4x6 (4 up, 6 across).

A friend had his TT roll on the 4x4 he was using once and the jack post (no foot) sank right up to the frame rails. We had to dig down and place a hydraulic jack under the A-frame to get raise it.

I think the idea is that trailer frames, especially I suppose the popups, aren't really designed to be strong/rigid enough for leveling at the frame.  Instead, they are designed to take the "full weight" at the axle point(s) and the Hitch

the jacks at the corners of a popup are only for stabilizing, not leveling....and as I recall the general consensus at least used to be that the stabilizers should only be put down after the roof is raised.  Apparently a lot of folks have bent frames because of not following these ideas....

so in order....
level front to back at the hitch
then level side to side at the axles
then raise the roof
last put down the stabilizers...
Reverse to put it away.

It's pretty much how I always did it, and I have to say that i think the ideas are plausible.  My pup frame was pretty flimsy.

Back
Top Bottom