Fifth wheel roof capicity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shasta Bob

I have a keystone Cougar 295RKS fifth wheel, my question is how much weight will the roof hold. I wish to be on top to cover and to install a fantastic fan and a cover for it I weigh 310lbs . do I weigh to much to be on top of the fifth wheel to do this covering and maintenance? Thanks Bob

I've seen this question several times before and the short answer is, "I don't know ". That's because it's virtually impossible to get a straight answer from Keystone and it's likely not in any of the documentation from them. It's been recommended that you use a piece of plywood to spread out the weight. That certainly would make you less likely to cause any roof damage. Of course roofs are seldom flat so you have to be careful if you opt to do the work yourself.
Bob

Probably up to 225-250 is fine on any but the most cheaply built models. But 310?  Who knows?  Best I can offer is to try it and see if the footing feels spongy at any point. If so, use pieces of plywood, maybe 1'x1' or 1.5' x 1.5' to spread the weight of your feet or knees a bit.

Definitely use a real ladder to get up there - the ones hung on the back aren't rated anywhere near that high (nor are most store-bought ladders.

I didn?t think about this really. My neighbor, who helped me with a minor repair on the room weighs probably 275 and I?m 225. We didn?t have any problems.

I'm a big boy as well.  Although I have just stretched to check and add caulking, if I ever feel the need to get on top of my TT, i will certainly lay down some plywood or sheeting.  If you crawl, those knees can be a small spot to transfer a lot of weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom