Water heater woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old_Crow

Well, 4 days until we shove off for the summer and my water heater decides to give up the ghost.  Atwood, 6 gal, gas only, electronic ignition.
Dug through the briefcase full of manuals and found one for the water heater.  No service info, but enough of a wiring diagram to get me started.  Replaced the fuse at the control board just because it was really corroded, although not blown.  Then I discovered that the thermal cutoff in the brown power supply wire to the eco/thermostat panel is blown.  I removed it from the circuit(it just plugs in with blade connectors)and the w/h fires right up.  Don't know if the fact that I just washed that side of the RV before the w/h quit had anything to do with it, wasn't much moisture in there when I opened the door to look at it.

I found the part on amazon for cheap(huh, they come in a 2 pak, imagine that)but since I'm getting ready to roll I won't have a shipping address for a couple of weeks.  My question, will it be okay to run the w/h for a while without this thermal cutoff until I can get it shipped or pass an RV store with one in stock?  Was thinking of only starting the w/h for dishes, laundry and bathing while without the thermal cutoff.

Old_Crow said:
My question, will it be okay to run the w/h for a while without this thermal cutoff until I can get it shipped or pass an RV store with one in stock?  Was thinking of only starting the w/h for dishes, laundry and bathing while without the thermal cutoff.

If it was me, I wouldn't do but then again, my situation is different than yours.  I suppose you may be able to get away with it as long as you monitor the temperature of the water and when it get's hot, shut it off. I guess the worst that would happen is the pressure relief/temperature valve would lift.

I made spares with parts from Radio Shack, but that is probably no longer an option. If you have an electronics or appliance store near you, perhaps that is an option.  Even a yard sale coffee maker would have one inside.

Rene, I fired up the heater and let it run.  Ran for a while and shut off just as normal.  I think this thing may be more of a fusible link for the electric circuit than a thermostat for the water temp, even if it's called a thermal cutoff in the book.  Basically, I've wrapped tin foil around a fuse.  I'll shut off the w/h at night and if we leave the coach, but I think it'll be okay until we land in Arizona.
Lynn, a 2 pack of the thermal cutoffs complete with a new lead I don't need is only like $13 on Amazon.  That's a good idea about an appliance store, if I have time before we take off, I may check around.

I will have it shipped to AZ when I get there, just don't have the address of the campground yet. 
I'm also dealing with trying to get my house sold or rented between now and Tuesday(had a guy back out on me at the last minute), so I've got way too much on my plate to deal with this right now. 
I'll be glad to get to Arizona and not have to worry about anything but cleaning campsites and checking campers in and out for a few months.

Actually, I think I'll call my boss in Arizona for the address tomorrow and order it so it'll be waiting on me when I get there.  Thanks Bill, I didn't consider that until you mentioned it.

Good luck on your new adventure. I can't see where holding a package for you would be a problem. I have done same thing a couple of times and I wasn't going to be working there. :D
Bill

Back
Top Bottom