30amp Receptacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJStarr

I hired a local guy to install a 30 amp receptacle at my house. I notice the romex is not in conduit. Is this something I need to be concerned about or have corrected? I live in MN.

Attachments

• 98AE05F9-FD77-4008-A4AD-0E92DEBD9D83.jpeg
    98AE05F9-FD77-4008-A4AD-0E92DEBD9D83.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DDAE84E1-1CFE-4C8F-870C-DADEFA3988A2.jpeg
    DDAE84E1-1CFE-4C8F-870C-DADEFA3988A2.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 73
I can't answer your question I just wanted to relay to you to make sure this guy knows that this 30 Amp RV receptacle which is 110 Volt and not 240 Volt. If he wires it wrong, it will fry everything in your rig. 

For that little bit of romex showing I wouldn't worry about it.
What gauge wire is that romex? I think for 30amp it has to be at least 10 gauge.
I would take a meter and check to make sure  there is only 120 volts across the two angled pins.

He put it on a 30amp single pole breaker (which I can see in my box) and he assured me it wouldn't fry the rig.  I thought you would need a double pole for 240v?  As you can tell, I really don't know much about electrical work or code.

You are correct.  It requires a double breaker for 240V in residential wiring.  You were wise to ask the question!

The ONLY problem with exposed Romex is, depending on the sheathing, it MAY degrade from sunshine over time.  I suspect your electrician used an appropriate wire, so you have no issues there.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
For that little bit of romex showing I wouldn't worry about it.
What gauge wire is that romex? I think for 30amp it has to be at least 10 gauge.

Romex sheathing is color coded to indicate the gauge of wire:

White: 14 gauge (15 amps)
Yellow: 12 gauge (20 amps)
Orange: 10 gauge (30 amps)
Gray: Underground Rated (all sizes)

Romex is designed to be used without conduit.  The sheathing provides the necessary protection for the wires.

The sheathing shown is Orange, so it's the proper 10 gauge wire for this application.  I wouldn't worry about that exposed inch or so of sheathing.  It's underneath the box so it's somewhat protected from the elements.

The romex he used is  10 Gauge as long as it is connected to a single and not double breaker you are fine. It should be uv romex for outdoor use which would be gray. I am not sure why he didn't move the box down to just enter the romex straight into the box instead if how he did it. That is coming from a Licensed home inspector though. What you have will be fine.

It will probably be fine the way it is, but technically, Romex is not allowed in wet locations unless it's NM-C.  I agree with Ghostman....he should have just come through the wall and directly into the box...from the back.

Shoot, he wire clamped it, and caulked the hole where it came out of the building. He did a pretty good job! As long as the connections are tight and the breaker is sized right, you got a great job.

^^^ What Marty said. Looks like a good installation. For a 100% code compliant install that little bit of Romex would be in conduit. Being that it is not going to be exposed to a lot  of misuse I wouldn't worry about it.

NY_Dutch said:
I haven't installed any Eaton 30 or 50 amp boxes in awhile, but I don't recall them having knockouts on the back.

That's what a knockout set is for.....I have both the manual (turn it with a wrench) and a hydraulic set.....1/2" up to 2" conduit size.

I'll be installing a similar one (50A) on the side of my garage and next to where the T.H. is parked this fall.  I'm just not wanting to get up in the attic of my garage right now and run a circuit through the hot attic during the middle of summer.  If the box doesn't have a knockout on the back of it, it will have when I'm done.

Thanks everyone. I went to Home Depot and got a tester for $4. 

I declare Camp Starr open for business. If you need a hookup for a night in Minneapolis let me know!

Attachments

• 5935B260-09A0-4A43-AD33-1E8D12D97BB5.jpeg
    5935B260-09A0-4A43-AD33-1E8D12D97BB5.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
  • BD3FB993-3C14-49C8-830E-E20F06D2A619.jpeg
    BD3FB993-3C14-49C8-830E-E20F06D2A619.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 34
xrated said:
That's what a knockout set is for.....I have both the manual (turn it with a wrench) and a hydraulic set.....1/2" up to 2" conduit size.

I'll be installing a similar one (50A) on the side of my garage and next to where the T.H. is parked this fall.  I'm just not wanting to get up in the attic of my garage right now and run a circuit through the hot attic during the middle of summer.  If the box doesn't have a knockout on the back of it, it will have when I'm done.

Of course you can add one where you want it, but that's going to take extra time. If the job was quoted flat rate, it's not going to happen...

NY_Dutch said:
Of course you can add one where you want it, but that's going to take extra time. If the job was quoted flat rate, it's not going to happen...

LOL.....yea, I know, but then again, the only Electrical work I do is at work....unless it for me.  And realistically, it would take about 2-3 minutes to drill a hole in the box and put the knockout in there and make a hole.  There are advantages of being an Electrician....it's the plumbing/carpentry/other stuff that I have a lot less skills at!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom