Where is the OBD 2 reader in 1999 Bounder Ford v10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyLou

Can some please tell me where to locate the receptacle for the OBD 2 code reader.  I have been unable to locate this in order to check out what is causing the check engine light to come on.

Thanks

Hopefully a Bounder owner will respond - I don't have a clue, except that it is a standard Ford OBD2 plug and dangling somewhere under the dash near the steering column.  There's a lot of variation in the specific location, sort of depending on the guy who stuffed the wires up under the dash.

What kind of engine do you have, Ford Triton??

Are you sure it is OBD II ?  look under the hood to confirm what type.  There should be an emmissions control sticker

I have a 99 Four Winds WINDSPORT with a triton V10 - Under the hood it says it is a OBD I certified engine...

So I am confused...

The standardization agreement for OBD II covers cars and light trucks, which the RV chassis is NOT and therefore exempt from the standard, but most engines use the same wiring harness as the light truck models and are OBD II. I'm real surprised you have a 99 V10 that is OBD I, but I guess it is possible.

I know this is an old post, however after fighting this and researching it on multiple year Ford  53 series chasis  they are generally in the same place.....1)  You may have to remove any lower or upper plastic covers surrounding the steering column.  My 2000 Fleetwood Bounder had a lower and upper...there were 2 plastic body screws that simply pulled out.  2)  Look about mid ways down the RIGHT side of the column..below the gear shift.  It should be facing horizontal to the steering column. ... There will be a cap over the OBD plug.  It will say OBD Diagnostic on top of the cap.  3) Pull the top cover off the plug.  It should just pop off.  It is still going to be attached by a small plastic wire. Leave this plastic wire alone.  Don't remove the cover.  Just let it hang down.  4)  Hook your scan tool up as normal on any vehicle.  5)  Retrieve your code and trouble shoot the issue. 

I just bought mine and the light came on after I added a fuel tank -fuel system cleaning my mechanic at the Ford dealer told me to do on a V10 Ford MH.  My engine light came on about 100 miles after I added all the cleaner to the fuel.  I filled up 2 other times and each time I disconnected the battery to get the code off.  It would come back on 50-100 miles later.  Finally found the HIDDEN  :)  scan plug and got a  P1131 code.  Did some diagnostic tests on vacuum, fuel filter - fuel pressure, fuel injector, EGR tests etc.  The passenger oxygen sensor by exhaust manifold was below threshold voltage.  Replaced it and BAMMMMMM  fixed.  No more check codes!    My dealer said the OBD plug was in the same location on years 1998-2004 Ford  p53 chassis vehicles.  Hope that helps someone! 

Your description of where the OBD2 socket may be is dead on. The Ford Body Builders Manual says that the body builder should move the socket to a more accessible location, and an extra loop of cable is provided for that purpose, but few RV manufacturers bother to do it. I relocated mine to the steering column cover where it's easy to see and access from the drivers seat.

There is about 3-5" of extra wire so you can move it out from under the plastic cover should the need arise in the future.  AND IT WILL!  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom