Towing with a Chevy Equinox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamperGuy55

I have a 2018 chevy equinox Lt with the larger 2.0 turbo 252 hp 260lbs torque with the 9 speed transmission and the factory installed tow package.Specs say it can tow up to 3,500 lbs and hitch weight 350 lbs.It has a 2 inch reciever.What can i tow with this?

Small boat or a tent trailer. Your biggest issue is going to be the tongue weight of the trailer. Look on drivers side door pillar for the yellow tag which will tell you cargo capacity. Once you load the vehicle with you and wife gear etc you will find that your only left with a couple hundred pounds which wil be the trailer tongue wieght. It wont be much i can assure you we had an equinox and has to pull a 1800lb boat a couple times and it was a real stuggle. Look for popups/tent trailers

CamperGuy55 said:
I have a 2018 chevy equinox Lt with the larger 2.0 turbo 252 hp 260lbs torque with the 9 speed transmission and the factory installed tow package.Specs say it can tow up to 3,500 lbs and hitch weight 350 lbs.It has a 2 inch reciever.What can i tow with this?

A utility trailer?
A tear drop, maybe a minimalist pop up.

You need to stay well below the stated max.
Your payload with passengers, and gear is what is going to force you into something around 2,000 pounds.....loaded.

CamperGuy55 said:
The sticker says not to exceed 1,083 lbs with passengers and payload.The GVWR is 4,630 lbs

thats not bad so add up you and all passengers and gear in the car and whats left is available carry capacity - a trailer LOADED at 3500lbs will hae a hitch weight of 350- 400 lbs so look for anything with a loaded weight of less than that - probably a really really nice tent trailer would work great 

The GVWR mentioned by Oldgator was that of the TRAILER, not the tow vehicle. We use the trailer GVWR in our calculations to represent the worst case trailer load and give us a small margin of safety.

Welcome to the Forum!

That 3500# max tow rating is an advertising dept stat.  It assumes a LIGHTLY optioned Equinox, two 150# passengers and a full gas tank. PERIOD.  This number must be reduced pound for pound by everything else that goes in the SUV.  That includes optional equipment installed on the car.

The better number is the 1083# Payload you provided (THANK YOU)  This is exactly what it says.  No passengers are included, but it does account for all factory installed options.  As Steve said, add up the weight of all expected passengers and SUV cargo, then add 10% - 12% of the desired camper GVWR.  This is what the SUV is carrying and can not exceed 1083#.

As others have said, look at teardrops, R Pods and smaller pop ups.  Keep the weights as described, then go enjoy the great outdoors!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom