Backup Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

I bought more coach than I had planned.  A portion of my travels will be just me and the two dogs.  Therefore, I?m looking for a reliable back up camera to assist in parking. 

The dealer from who I am buying downplays the utility of backup cams.  My Jayflight is prewired.  I am interested in suggestions as to models you find reliable and effective.

Don't listen to him, backup cams are a great tool. Especially if you are alone with no spotter. I can't recommend a specific camera system, but is a good company that I have purchased from in the past. They will also give you suggestions if you call. http://www.rvcams.com

I agree with Marty. We use the backup (rear facing) camera a little when parking, but we use it a lot when cruising down the freeway. Unless I'm turning, I can't see our towed vehicle in the mirrors, so it's the only way we can keep an eye on it while traveling. I wonder if that RV salesman has done much RVing.

Kev 

Jayflight is a travel trailer. I would agree that a backup camera is of little value.

Once the camera has passed an obstacle, you still need mirrors to make sure you don't hit it with the trailer or tow vehicle.

If your rig is prewired for the video part of a camera system rather than just the power, then the system I'm mentioning is not needed, but if you need wireless, keep in mind that many are designed for cars and do not have the range needed for an RV.

I found the Furion Wireless Observation system works great on our 32-foot 5-er - it has a range of 100 feet and works great to keep an eye on traffic behind you while driving, but also when backing your rig into your site to make sure you do not hit anything right behind. The camera is wide angle so you have a great field of view. However, I still like to have a live person when available to see things I might miss.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-381556-FOS48TAPK-BL-High-Speed-Observation/dp/B010XWNFOM

Larry N. said:
The OP did say coach, with which a rear view camera is a big help.

Yes he did but the Jayflight's I found are all trailers!!

I agree with Marty and Kevin.  Our truck camper came with one and it has been very helpful.  Could I do without one, of course but having one has not only been helpful in backing into a spot, but as Kevin said, on the road especially now since we are towing a car on a tow dolly. 

I agree with both sides, useful but not totally necessary.

I always think of a coworker friend several years ago, before these things were put in every car, had one in his honda van.  he came in one day with a crunched rear.... he was watching the camera so intently that he missed a pole that was right there.

fast forward to my wife's newer model Buick, that beeps when you get close to something, then steady alarm tone when very close.  It's better, but I still feel like it's possible to miss something.  Still, I do think they are a good tool.

The one in my RV recently leaked.  i never liked the thing because of low resolution and very poor night vision but it was still a little helpful sometimes, mainly for keeping an eye on the bikes on the rack back there....and also to see how close I am getting to that tree that i already knew was there form looking in the mirror....

Went to rvcams.com.  they do have a great selection.  I was hoping for something better than the OEM camera, but what they were going to sell me sounds like an exact replacement.  So, I went on the hunt for something better.  Struck out on anything better that would work with my existing wiring, but in the process found what looks to be the same thing on ebay for significantly less money than rvcams.com...so much so that while it kills me to not support local businesses, this thing shipped direct from China was so cheap that I'm not out enough to hurt even if it doesn't work.  haven't had a chance to get it installed yet....

Personally, I think "backup" camera is the wrong word to use. I prefer to call them "rearview" cameras. Like a lot of people, we have one on our Maverick, and the ability to see traffic that is directly behind us when driving is worth the cost and trouble to install. Even with a trailer, I think they would be extremely useful. Call it "situational awareness".  They should be a standard item on all Rv's ...trailer or MH, IMHO.

Hi, new to here, I'm looking for a backup system for my RV, did you get your system yet?

I'll usually be setting up by myself because my wife will be getting the kids out of the truck and out of the way.  A camera is something I see as essential.  I know the limitations of it, but the peace of mind is worth it.  The camera on my truck has become indispensable.  I can hitch up to a trailer in a few seconds, with no spotter.  Once lined up, I zoom it in and use the center line as a guide.  The ball is right under the hitch on the first shot.  A camera on the back of my TT will be nice for the same reason, and to have a rear view "mirror" while on the road. 

I'll be purchasing clip-on mirrors for the sides, too.

We too got the Furrion rear camera monitoring system on our travel trailer. It stays on while we are cruising down the road. Hubby loves it. It gives him that extra 100 ft rear view behind us while driving. I do spot him and we use walk-in talkies when when he is backing the trailer up, not relying on the camera. We have only used it the one trip, but we sure do like it.

I am puling a TT, so I bought a backup camera off amazon. My TV already has a backup camera that displays thur my truck radio screen.  I use the truck back up camera to line up the hitch works very well. Once i am hooked up, i unplug the backup camera on my truck and plug in the wires from the TT backup cam. it helps a lot backing up when alone.

David

In late July 2018 I purchased an Haloview MC7101 camera kit through an Amazon seller, I mounted the camera on the rear of a 35ft RV, I have recently returned from a trip, the image and the reception was very good, overall my wife and me are very pleased with the product, it seems well designed and excellent quality.

after doing way too much research.  I found Tadi brothers cameras.  The company will bend over backwards to help with installation and any questions.  even months after installation , the were there for me.  NowI'm going with a side view camera  . Guess what brand Im going with.... yup

https://www.tadibrothers.com/category/rv-rear-view-camera-systems?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RLSA%20Tadi%20RV%20Search%20(Opt)&utm_term=voyager%20backup%20camera&utm_content=BackUp%20Camera%20For%20RV

Back
Top Bottom