fuel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigals1

Just purchased our first MH. 2005 Itasca Meridian, 350 Cat. There is a fuel/ water separator behind radiator, does anyone know if there is another one in engine compartment? Thanks.

It probably has a second one, but some 2005 models were built on a 2004 chassis, so you can't make an assumption based on the coach model year.  You could call Freightliner Custom Chassis. Have your chassis VIN  handy and call 1-800-FTL-HELP  (24/7 service).

Very likely Bigals1' is the same, then.  However, there are 4 different chassis wheelbases and two different GVWRs that Winnebago used for '04-'05 diesels,  so there is still a tiny chance they aren't identical.

In any case, an inspection of the top/side of the engine should answer the question. :)

Yeap!  Not always easy to see, though.  If not immediately evident, keep looking.
My apologies if I've made this topic too painful with my nitpicking.  I was merely trying to prevent a possibly false assumption.

cbeierl said:
In 2003/2004 Freightliner went with a single filter setup, but I would expect your 2005 to have a secondary filter on top of the engine.  Take a look at this thread of mine on iRV2.com:  Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump

I have a 2006 and it has a fuel filter/water separator near the radiator AND a secondary filter near the top of the engine.  Not fun to change as the best way to get at it is from the top and that means from inside the bedroom. 

Yeah, by the 2006 model year all the older chassis with single filters had been sold under 2003-2005 models.

Consider not changing the secondary, engine-mounted filter each time the rig is due for a filter change.  The primary filter & water separator catches all the big crud that typically comes out of the underground storage tanks, and the secondary is there for the fine grit that escapes.  It's a gamble, of course, betting that not much fine stuff got thru to collect in the secondary. Still, the risk is just on-road performance loss and limping to a place where the filter can be changed.  It still protected the fuel injector pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom