Wingard Traveller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigals1

I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian with an AS2003 dish. Is there anything usable inside coach if I buy a more modern sustem. Was thinking of buying Traveller. Thanks

The inside control panel and wiring for the AS2003 is not compatible with the Trav'ler. Which sat service you use will determine which Trav'ler model you'll need.

When I had my coach prewired for the the Travler, they installed 5 different wires from the roof to the entertainment cabinet.  With a little ingenuity it can be done after the fact.

I would not spend a dime on a roof top dish. Travelers can have expensive issues and unless you always have a clear view of the birds you will not be able to use it.

donn said:
I would not spend a dime on a roof top dish. Travelers can have expensive issues and unless you always have a clear view of the birds you will not be able to use it.

I wouldnt spend a dime either on a roof top dish because if the price was a dime, it probably doesnt work, however, we did spend several hundred dollars on a rebuilt SK-3005 a couple of years ago, and knock on wood, it has provided us with great service so far.  We do also carry a portable SK-3005 converter to SWM.  The only problem is that we have to switch the SWM module when going from the Trav'ler to the tripod mounted dish.

Where we spend 99% of our time, we dont need the tripod mounted dish.

We full time and have the Traveler on the roof as well as a portable tripod dish. I think in 2 years of travel we have had to set up the portable twice. And we usually move every few days. Love to just park and push a button to find the satellites.

Vicki

SargeW said:
When I had my coach prewired for the the Travler, they installed 5 different wires from the roof to the entertainment cabinet.  With a little ingenuity it can be done after the fact.

That must have been for a pre SWM SK-3005.  We have a pre SWM SK-3005 Trav'ler converted to SWM with the addition of a SWM-8 switch with only one coax coming into the coach.

We full time and have the Traveler on the roof as well as a portable tripod dish. I think in 2 years of travel we have had to set up the portable twice. And we usually move every few days. Love to just park and push a button to find the satellites.

Vicki
Same for us and with the new Dish app never have to call Dish support to get locals.

We have had a Trav'ler since 2011, which I did the install and moved to a 2nd RV.  We travel from 5-10 months of the year.  We seldom spend more than a week w/o moving and many times just 1-3 days between moves.  This means the Trav'ler gets put up and down A LOT.  We also travel back roads including going to Alaska which included going 233 miles up the Haul road (Dalton Hwy) along the Alaska Pipeline towards Prudhoe Bay, which is mostly gravel and the Top of the World hwy, and other rough roads.  Not one peep of problems with the Trav'ler.    Also got satellite reception at least as far as the arctic circle before we got into some mountains which blocked our view.  The dish looked like it was pointing toward the ground. 

donn said:

I've had a Trav'ler since 2011 and the only "problem" has been when something was blocking the signal (rare) -- even then moving the coach a couple of feet made a difference.

The Trav'ler has too many limitations for our travels. We never request sites with a good satellite view, preferring to select sites for their aesthetics or proximity to other park features such as a lake, ocean, or river view. Using our portable tripod mounted dish, we have never been on a site where I could not find a signal from one arc or the other somewhere on the site. We have on a few occasions been on sites where I could only "hit" the eastern arc 72.7 and 77 sats through a small gap in the trees, but since nearly all of the 61.5 satellite programming is repeated on 77, albeit in SD, we still had access to our full program package. That's hard to do with the western arc only Trav'ler assuming it was parked in exactly the right spot. And yes, I know it can be manually aimed at one of the eastern arc sats. We also spend the majority of our time in the east, and many of the local channels are only on the eastern arc sats, at least in HD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom