EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Huge new W-10 update, and now computer takes much longer to boot up  (Read 1297 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
I just had a new (forced) Windows 10 update a few days ago, and now my once speedy computer has been hobbled. This update took about an hour and a half to update, and restarted at least 4 times in the process. But I am not happy with the slow down.  It is a couple year old Acer, but it has always been pretty zippy. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Re: Huge new W-10 update, and now computer takes much longer to boot up
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »
Are you sure the update completed?  Check Win update to see if Windows 10 version 1803 is installed.  If not, your computer will be slowed down while it goes thru the update process again...from scratch.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
One of the big reasons I use Chromebook. Automatic updates that you never notice, 8 second boot time.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:59:10 PM »
My results were e actly the opposite.  My old laptop got the updates and now boots in about half the time it used to take.

But that doesn't help you much does it?   ;)

Try letting it boot up and just remain on for the rest of the day.

How's your free disk space after the update?  You may need to do a cleanup, and specifically delete the old operating system now in the 'Windows.old' folder.  Google 'how to delete windows.old' to find out how.

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

wstuart

• ---
  • Planning is half the fun
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »
After an update, I always power off one more time and restart just to make sure "everything is in the right spot"
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT
Honda CRV toad Blue Ox tow bar

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
If another reboot doesn’t help, you can uninstall the update and let it reinstall.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
How much disk space do you have left? 

Have you cleared your cache (disk cleanup) and  defragged your hard drive?

Have you checked for Malware using Malwarebytes?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:34:09 PM by Arch Hoagland »
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 06:22:52 AM »
Even waking up from sleep takes longer now.. (The update hit a couple days ago as I recall. Very very long time watching the "Do not run off your computer" page.

Man I did an entire Internet Run with my chromebooks while the Win-Box was "updating"

That's why I don't much use it any more.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
Some info on slow after update.
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Suffice it to say that when the recent update applies correctly, W10 is no slower than previously.   Something went askew in SargeW's update, but we lack any info that might suggest what.  Will take some hunting around for clues.   I'd start at SETTINGS - Windows Update for the Update History and any further pending updates.   And the disk space status that others mentioned.

Backing out the update and re-applying is an option, but I'd do some clue-hunting first.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

docj

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »
This newest Windows Update (officially known as Version 1803) is part of the twice a year major update process and does require driver updates for some computers.  For example, my two year old Dell had practically no wifi support after it was upgraded until I went to the Dell website and downloaded the new driver.   All told, Dell had posted ~half a dozen of them for my particular model.

If your computer has been slow in booting up since the update I would expect that one or more drivers are failing to load properly during the boot process.  Eventually, those drivers probably get omitted, but the overall operation of the computer may be compromised.

In the case of Dell, there was a post on its website stating which of its models were being supported for this update; not all older models were included.  Planned obsolescence strikes again!
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »
Sorry it took a while to get back. I don't think that storage is an issue. I just checked the hard drive and it shows 331 GB free of 447 available. I think that the upgrade did in fact finish, it is just notably sluggish when booting now. It may need a clean out of old files, and I didn't realize that the older version may still be in storage.  I will search and see if it's in a file somewhere. 

The last thing that I heard from Microsoft was that their updates would only upgrade the small sections that the update applied to.  So I was a little surprised that this was such a huge download.   
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
Some info on slow after update.

Good info in that article too. I will go through those setting when I get some time...
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
The last thing that I heard from Microsoft was that their updates would only upgrade the small sections that the update applied to.
Windows had done modular updates for years now, but they aren't necessarily "small". And arguably, a 300-400 MB update is "small" for a system that runs around 4 GB (even more for the 64 bit version).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 11:39:12 AM »
Windows had done modular updates for years now, but they aren't necessarily "small". And arguably, a 300-400 MB update is "small" for a system that runs around 4 GB (even more for the 64 bit version).

And it was less than 25 years ago when 35 mb Windows 95 was called bloatware and excessive. ::)
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
That was when Memory and disk prices were 1000x per bit what they are today as well.

egalt

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
One of the big reasons I use Chromebook. Automatic updates that you never notice, 8 second boot time.

More than likely, you are running an Solid State hard drive and not the old spin disks.  That's the only reason you have an 8 sec boot time.

Take the windows 10 laptop and shove in an SSD drive, turn off the indexing, and that thing will scream just as fast as your chromebook.
2018 Coachmen 2200 FS
Cincinnati, Ohio

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »
I have lost my desktop and a few programs were hard to find.  i do not like the interface i got as the desktop was much more friendly for me.  :-(
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 01:20:09 AM »
I bought a 17 inch Windows laptop in 2012 running W7. About a month later I bought my first Chromebook and I have rarely used my Windows laptop since then. About once a month I would need the Windows laptop for something I could not do on my Chromebook so I would pull it out and use it. About three years ago I upgraded to W8 and then the next year I was forced into upgrading to W10. What a huge mistake. All it does is upgrade itself. Every time I turn on the computer it takes a few hours before it is use able. It spends the first few hours downloading and updating endlessly. I finally got sick of it and bought a $20 hard drive and a set of discs for $15 that allowed me to return the laptop to W7. Now the computer is actually use able.

Meanwhile I now own three Chromebooks. The three of them together cost the same as the Windows laptop. One is mounted on my drum set, one on my exercise bike and one I use for surfing while watching TV.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

docj

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
I don't want to appear to be a Microsoft supporter, but in its defense, we have two Windows 10 laptops, a Dell with a Core i7 and an Asus with a Core i5.  Both boot off of SSD's and are ready to use in less than a minute.  Both are set to automatically update and, with the exception of the update a couple of months ago, I hardly ever notice that they have updated.  It's easy to beat up on Microsoft, but IMHO Windows has become a stable, relatively reliable system. 

My suggestions are to make sure that you have lots of RAM and replace your HDD with an SSD.  My Dell has 16GB of RAM and my wife's Asus has 8GB.   My Dell has a dual hard drive setup with an SSD used for bootup and for program storage.  The Asus has a single SSD.  The combination of these two factors made a huge difference in the performance of both computers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:07:14 PM by docj »
Sandie & Joel

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »

Trying to run today's operating systems and applications with old outdated hardware is like attempting to drive the Interstates in a Model T. You can do it, but it won't be much fun.
U.S. Navy (Ret)

docj

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
Trying to run today's operating systems and applications with old outdated hardware is like attempting to drive the Interstates in a Model T. You can do it, but it won't be much fun.

Agreed, I've been upgrading (replacing) my computers on a 2-3 year cycle for more than a decade.  Sure, my old Atari 800 had a word processing program and a spreadsheet all of which fit in 48K of RAM.  But those days are long gone.
Sandie & Joel

durangod

• ---
  • The more i do the more my TODO list grows
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »
With my MSI board i run a program called fastboot and its ready to go in about 15 to 20 secs.   Do you happen to have a MSI board?
Dave, me, myself, and I
2007 Gulf Stream Conquest 24frbw
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Fulltime RV living perm location lake in East Texas
My name is short for durangodave

Garyi

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 09:03:59 PM »
Upgrade to at least 8 GB ram if you do not already have. Download CCleaner from Filehippo and run the registry cleaner portion on a regular basis (at least monthly). Windows 10 should do an automatic defrag but I would check the settings just to be sure. You can also go into settings and stop or delay other programs from loading on start up. All this should help start up and running speed.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
If you just 'slap an SSD in a computer' you will eventually be disappointed.

This guide explains everything you need : https://www.back2gaming.com/guides/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

docj

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
If you just 'slap an SSD in a computer' you will eventually be disappointed.

This guide explains everything you need : https://www.back2gaming.com/guides/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

With all due respect, this is an article from 2013 before Windows 10 was even released and when SSD's were in their infancy.  I'm sure that some tweaks are worthwhile, but I would be reluctant to use ones that are this old.

FWIW, I installed the SSD in my wife's Asus laptop by simply cloning the existing HDD.   No other changes were made and the computer runs flawlessly and much faster than it did when we bought it.
Sandie & Joel

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
Yes I can buy an SSD and install more memory. I can install CCleaner and other utilities. But in the end I still end up with Windows is which has just become a sorry joke of an operating system. Or for a mere $200 I can buy a Chromebook and it boots in 8 seconds and is much faster and more secure than anything MS has ever produced. Can't get a virus, can't get malware and it updates itself automatically. But the biggest plus of all is that when I wear out a Chromebook all I have to do is buy another one and when I log in all my settings, favorites and programs are already there and waiting for me. No need to spend hours installing programs, tweaking settings and removing crap.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »
FWIW, I installed the SSD in my wife's Asus laptop by simply cloning the existing HDD.   No other changes were made and the computer runs flawlessly and much faster than it did when we bought it.

FWIW it will work better and last longer if you follow the advice of experts.  There are hundreds of pages that present the same advice.  Choose one with a creation date more to your liking.  I didn't even look at the date, just that it presented the correct settings in an understandable format and pertained to older hardware. 

The easiest way to tell is to find the disk optimization dialog and click on 'Optimize' and if it shows '% xx trimmed' your hardware is new enough for W10 to have done all this stuff for you and you don't need to worry.

If it doesn't say trimmed your SSD is not set up properly.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:31:43 PM by 8Muddypaws »

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »
Agreed, I've been upgrading (replacing) my computers on a 2-3 year cycle for more than a decade.  Sure, my old Atari 800 had a word processing program and a spreadsheet all of which fit in 48K of RAM.  But those days are long gone.

I didn't have the high dollar 5  1/4" floppy disc drive, so I didn't have a word processor. If I wanted to do a document, I had to write it in a basic program line by line. 10lprrint"Hi" haha. Look familiar?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

docj

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »

FWIW it will work better and last longer if you follow the advice of experts.  There are hundreds of pages that present the same advice.

FWIW not everyone agrees: https://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/

From the above article: ....ever since Windows 7, Windows has automatically enabled TRIM for any drive it detects as solid-state.
Sandie & Joel