Huge new W-10 update, and now computer takes much longer to boot up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I just had a new (forced) Windows 10 update a few days ago, and now my once speedy computer has been hobbled. This update took about an hour and a half to update, and restarted at least 4 times in the process. But I am not happy with the slow down.  It is a couple year old Acer, but it has always been pretty zippy. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

Are you sure the update completed?  Check Win update to see if Windows 10 version 1803 is installed.  If not, your computer will be slowed down while it goes thru the update process again...from scratch.

My results were e actly the opposite.  My old laptop got the updates and now boots in about half the time it used to take.

But that doesn't help you much does it?  ;)

Try letting it boot up and just remain on for the rest of the day.

How's your free disk space after the update?  You may need to do a cleanup, and specifically delete the old operating system now in the 'Windows.old' folder.  Google 'how to delete windows.old' to find out how.

If another reboot doesn?t help, you can uninstall the update and let it reinstall.

How much disk space do you have left? 

Have you cleared your cache (disk cleanup) and  defragged your hard drive?

Have you checked for Malware using Malwarebytes?

Even waking up from sleep takes longer now.. (The update hit a couple days ago as I recall. Very very long time watching the "Do not run off your computer" page.

Man I did an entire Internet Run with my chromebooks while the Win-Box was "updating"

That's why I don't much use it any more.

Suffice it to say that when the recent update applies correctly, W10 is no slower than previously.  Something went askew in SargeW's update, but we lack any info that might suggest what.  Will take some hunting around for clues.  I'd start at SETTINGS - Windows Update for the Update History and any further pending updates.  And the disk space status that others mentioned.

Backing out the update and re-applying is an option, but I'd do some clue-hunting first.

This newest Windows Update (officially known as Version 1803) is part of the twice a year major update process and does require driver updates for some computers.  For example, my two year old Dell had practically no wifi support after it was upgraded until I went to the Dell website and downloaded the new driver.  All told, Dell had posted ~half a dozen of them for my particular model.

If your computer has been slow in booting up since the update I would expect that one or more drivers are failing to load properly during the boot process.  Eventually, those drivers probably get omitted, but the overall operation of the computer may be compromised.

In the case of Dell, there was a post on its website stating which of its models were being supported for this update; not all older models were included.  Planned obsolescence strikes again!

Sorry it took a while to get back. I don't think that storage is an issue. I just checked the hard drive and it shows 331 GB free of 447 available. I think that the upgrade did in fact finish, it is just notably sluggish when booting now. It may need a clean out of old files, and I didn't realize that the older version may still be in storage.  I will search and see if it's in a file somewhere. 

The last thing that I heard from Microsoft was that their updates would only upgrade the small sections that the update applied to.  So I was a little surprised that this was such a huge download. 

The last thing that I heard from Microsoft was that their updates would only upgrade the small sections that the update applied to.
Windows had done modular updates for years now, but they aren't necessarily "small". And arguably, a 300-400 MB update is "small" for a system that runs around 4 GB (even more for the 64 bit version).

Windows had done modular updates for years now, but they aren't necessarily "small". And arguably, a 300-400 MB update is "small" for a system that runs around 4 GB (even more for the 64 bit version).

And it was less than 25 years ago when 35 mb Windows 95 was called bloatware and excessive. ::)

SeilerBird said:
One of the big reasons I use Chromebook. Automatic updates that you never notice, 8 second boot time.

More than likely, you are running an Solid State hard drive and not the old spin disks.  That's the only reason you have an 8 sec boot time.

Take the windows 10 laptop and shove in an SSD drive, turn off the indexing, and that thing will scream just as fast as your chromebook.

I have lost my desktop and a few programs were hard to find.  i do not like the interface i got as the desktop was much more friendly for me.  :-(

I bought a 17 inch Windows laptop in 2012 running W7. About a month later I bought my first Chromebook and I have rarely used my Windows laptop since then. About once a month I would need the Windows laptop for something I could not do on my Chromebook so I would pull it out and use it. About three years ago I upgraded to W8 and then the next year I was forced into upgrading to W10. What a huge mistake. All it does is upgrade itself. Every time I turn on the computer it takes a few hours before it is use able. It spends the first few hours downloading and updating endlessly. I finally got sick of it and bought a $20 hard drive and a set of discs for $15 that allowed me to return the laptop to W7. Now the computer is actually use able.

Meanwhile I now own three Chromebooks. The three of them together cost the same as the Windows laptop. One is mounted on my drum set, one on my exercise bike and one I use for surfing while watching TV.

I don't want to appear to be a Microsoft supporter, but in its defense, we have two Windows 10 laptops, a Dell with a Core i7 and an Asus with a Core i5.  Both boot off of SSD's and are ready to use in less than a minute.  Both are set to automatically update and, with the exception of the update a couple of months ago, I hardly ever notice that they have updated.  It's easy to beat up on Microsoft, but IMHO Windows has become a stable, relatively reliable system. 

My suggestions are to make sure that you have lots of RAM and replace your HDD with an SSD.  My Dell has 16GB of RAM and my wife's Asus has 8GB.  My Dell has a dual hard drive setup with an SSD used for bootup and for program storage.  The Asus has a single SSD.  The combination of these two factors made a huge difference in the performance of both computers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom