Huge new W-10 update, and now computer takes much longer to boot up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to run today's operating systems and applications with old outdated hardware is like attempting to drive the Interstates in a Model T. You can do it, but it won't be much fun.

Molaker said:
Trying to run today's operating systems and applications with old outdated hardware is like attempting to drive the Interstates in a Model T. You can do it, but it won't be much fun.

Agreed, I've been upgrading (replacing) my computers on a 2-3 year cycle for more than a decade.  Sure, my old Atari 800 had a word processing program and a spreadsheet all of which fit in 48K of RAM.  But those days are long gone.

With my MSI board i run a program called fastboot and its ready to go in about 15 to 20 secs.  Do you happen to have a MSI board?

Upgrade to at least 8 GB ram if you do not already have. Download CCleaner from Filehippo and run the registry cleaner portion on a regular basis (at least monthly). Windows 10 should do an automatic defrag but I would check the settings just to be sure. You can also go into settings and stop or delay other programs from loading on start up. All this should help start up and running speed.

If you just 'slap an SSD in a computer' you will eventually be disappointed.

This guide explains everything you need : https://www.back2gaming.com/guides/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

8Muddypaws said:
If you just 'slap an SSD in a computer' you will eventually be disappointed.

This guide explains everything you need : https://www.back2gaming.com/guides/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

With all due respect, this is an article from 2013 before Windows 10 was even released and when SSD's were in their infancy.  I'm sure that some tweaks are worthwhile, but I would be reluctant to use ones that are this old.

FWIW, I installed the SSD in my wife's Asus laptop by simply cloning the existing HDD.  No other changes were made and the computer runs flawlessly and much faster than it did when we bought it.

Yes I can buy an SSD and install more memory. I can install CCleaner and other utilities. But in the end I still end up with Windows is which has just become a sorry joke of an operating system. Or for a mere $200 I can buy a Chromebook and it boots in 8 seconds and is much faster and more secure than anything MS has ever produced. Can't get a virus, can't get malware and it updates itself automatically. But the biggest plus of all is that when I wear out a Chromebook all I have to do is buy another one and when I log in all my settings, favorites and programs are already there and waiting for me. No need to spend hours installing programs, tweaking settings and removing crap.

FWIW, I installed the SSD in my wife's Asus laptop by simply cloning the existing HDD.  No other changes were made and the computer runs flawlessly and much faster than it did when we bought it.

FWIW it will work better and last longer if you follow the advice of experts.  There are hundreds of pages that present the same advice.  Choose one with a creation date more to your liking.  I didn't even look at the date, just that it presented the correct settings in an understandable format and pertained to older hardware. 

The easiest way to tell is to find the disk optimization dialog and click on 'Optimize' and if it shows '% xx trimmed' your hardware is new enough for W10 to have done all this stuff for you and you don't need to worry.

If it doesn't say trimmed your SSD is not set up properly.

docj said:
Agreed, I've been upgrading (replacing) my computers on a 2-3 year cycle for more than a decade.  Sure, my old Atari 800 had a word processing program and a spreadsheet all of which fit in 48K of RAM.  But those days are long gone.

I didn't have the high dollar 5  1/4" floppy disc drive, so I didn't have a word processor. If I wanted to do a document, I had to write it in a basic program line by line. 10lprrint"Hi" haha. Look familiar?

I found similar articles.  As much as I respect HTG they are not alway spot on. 

The detection requires that AHCI mode is enabled in BIOS and the appropriate drivers can be found during the OS install to support it.  Lots of older computers don't support AHCI or come standard with it disabled.  I've run into lots of them in my Volunteer gig.  We get computers from Dell, Hp, and Lenovo but I occasionally come across a weird one.

Once the OS is installed it's not a trivial thing to switch from IDE to AHCI.  It may be easier with the current builds but in the past it has been easier to reinstall the entire OS.  And because the installers I'm required to use are scripted that usually means backing up and migrating user data.  That may also be why the AHCI drivers don't work all the time.

So in this case perhaps YMMV is appropriate?

After that update I was no longer able to use my Photoshop Elements software. Popul said not enough ram. Worked fine before update. Laptop had 4gb. Upgraded to 8gb which is max. Works again. It is annoying that Windows is such a resource hog.

Chromebook is nothing but a browser with a keyboard...hence the speed.  That's about it.  (And the cheap price)

I have spent the existence of windows optimizing the OS since windows 3.0.  (And yes, I have a copy of Windows 286 on 5 1/4 floppies)

So with that said - tuning is the art to windows performance. 

Windows 10 is a big monster, but if you understand the technicals behind it, and know how to optimize for it, it's quite a quick OS.

Anyone want to discuss Redhat? Ubuntu? I am open for more discussions on this. :)

egalt said:
Chromebook is nothing but a browser with a keyboard...hence the speed.  That's about it.  (And the cheap price)
Which is exactly why it is so wonderful and it took over the laptop market. I have been using Chromebooks since 2012 and I just took delivery of my third Chromebook. I have a 15 inch I was using as my primary surfboard. Two months ago I got an exercise bike and moved the 15 inch to the handlebars so I can watch a bike ride video, listen to some rock and roll and have a 20 minute timer to tell me when to quit. I bought an 11 inch Chromebook to do my surfing on. And I just got this 14 inch gold one that is dynamite looking. I am using it to type this and it will go on my electronic drum set on a swivel so I can use it while playing drums or turn it around to use it when playing piano.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRSXZ7N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W57W6CX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-CB3-531-C4A5-15-6-Chromebook-Textured/dp/B011J72QE0/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535052753&sr=1-7

l was having all kinds of problems after the update. Finally l just restored the computer to the last restore point, then turned off automatic updates. Works fine now. If it's not broke don't fix it. 

While doing some of the maintenance items suggested, I stumbled upon a Microsoft Support document named "Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10".  It was a list of 11 items that you clicked on one at a time to check various things about the PC.

Number 3 was to Check memory and memory usage.  I checked mine and I had 4 gb of installed memory, and much of it was being used for routine tasks. So went on line and picked up another 4gb of memory for $26 on Amazon.  Easy install, and now the whole computer seems to be responding much better. 

When I bought the laptop about 5 years ago running Windows 7, the memory was sufficient.  But everything I read said that W-10 was a memory hog, and I do believe it was right. So far so good. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. 

Seilerbird.
(Quote}
Meanwhile I now own three Chromebooks. The three of them together cost the same as the Windows laptop. One is mounted on my drum set, one on my exercise bike and one I use for surfing while watching TV.
[/quote]

My old laptop with W7 pro version is getting long in the tooth and starting to have issues..
Been thinking about a Chromebook. 
I just cruise facebook,  this site and a few others, Do some ordering online, and store a ton of my wifes pictures on the laptop (and external drive)
What Chromebook can you recommend ?

Bob

hedhunter9 said:
Seilerbird.
(Quote}
Meanwhile I now own three Chromebooks. The three of them together cost the same as the Windows laptop. One is mounted on my drum set, one on my exercise bike and one I use for surfing while watching TV.

My old laptop with W7 pro version is getting long in the tooth and starting to have issues..
Been thinking about a Chromebook. 
I just cruise facebook,  this site and a few others, Do some ordering online, and store a ton of my wifes pictures on the laptop (and external drive)
What Chromebook can you recommend ?

Bob
I love my 11 inch Acer the most. It weighs almost nothing and is real handy. I keep it next to me all day long and when a commercial comes on I can pick it up, check my email and surf a little bit and close it back up in less than a minute. With a Chromebook you are given a whole bunch of free storage online. I have about 3000 photos on mine. And there is no difference between having them hosted locally or online.

One interesting thing about shopping for a Chromebook. It is very different than shopping for a regular computer. You don't need to compare processors, memory or hard drives because none of that matters. The speed of your Chromebook is determined by the speed of your Internet connection. You don't need to worry about hard drive space because it is online and almost impossible to fill up. So the most important thing to consider is screen size. I have an 11 inch, a 14 inch and a 15 inch. Basically I can't tell them apart when I am using them.

I gave one to my nephew and he fell in love with it. After a few years he wanted to upgrade and asked me how hard it was to upgrade. It blew his mind that it was so easy. When you boot up a Chromebook it takes 8 seconds for the log in screen to appear. Then you type in your username and password and you are ready to go. When you upgrade to a new Chromebook it is nothing like upgrading a normal laptop. It used to take me all day. I would have to back everything up and then set up the new computer with all the programs and files I wanted installed and then set all my preferences. None of that happens with a Chromebook. You can log onto any Chromebook in the world and it pulls all your preferences down from their web site and the new Chromebook looks and acts exactly like your last Chromebook and all your files are right where they always are.

There is also a guest mode. Lets say someone comes to visit you and wants to use your computer. You log off and let him log in as a guest. None of your files are exposed to your friend and he really can't hurt the computer at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom