Inst hot water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should we install an insta hot water tank

• yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Richele

We have completely gutted our camper.  I am petrified of gas so everything will be electric or battery.  The only water we are putting back in is the kitchen sink.  Originally we had decided that we would just heat up water to wash dishes but then I saw a 4 gallon insta hot water heater at home depot that fits in our budget.  I liked the fact the when it is not in use it can be drained. I was wondering has any one else done this?  if so what are you thoughts.  Still would like to hear peoples thoughts even if you haven't done it.

Why would you be petrified of gas. It is about a million times safer than driving down the highway were 40,000 Americans die each year. I doubt propane kills anyone.

One probably stands more of a chance of getting hurt by electric than propane. I would advise using a hardwired LP detector though.

You didn't mention what powers that heater.  If it's not gas, you will need substantial  electric power to heat water.  Will you always have that much?  I think the one you are looking at requires 12A @ 120v.

It appears to be a small tank model (4 gallons), so probably enough to do dishes but not a shower or bath. It's no more instant than any other heater - it takes 24 minutes to heat a full tank.  It uses the same amount of electric power as any other RV water heater (12A@120v or 1400 watts), so you could use use any RV electric model if yoou wanted more capacity.

Richele said:
We have completely gutted our camper.  I am petrified of gas so everything will be electric or battery.  The only water we are putting back in is the kitchen sink.  Originally we had decided that we would just heat up water to wash dishes but then I saw a 4 gallon insta hot water heater at home depot that fits in our budget.  I liked the fact the when it is not in use it can be drained. I was wondering has any one else done this?  if so what are you thoughts.  Still would like to hear peoples thoughts even if you haven't done it.
And yet you drive a car/truck/motorhome with a gas line under 45-60 Pounds per square inch (PSI) from the gas tank to the engine.  Then the propane lines are only at 0.5PSI.  Propane much safer than the gas/diesel lines.

Also, as mention by others, you are in far, far greater danger just by getting on the highways.

Honestly, it all depends on how often you plug in. It looks like that heater uses 1500watts to heat that small tank. In my RV, the only thing we use 120 for is the AC if needed because we like to go in the sticks. For AC and the water heater, youd need a minimum of 3000 watts and you might trip the breaker if you use them both at once.

IMO, the traditional propane heater is easier and cheaper to run since I don't already have a generator.  But, if you are regularly plugged in, electricity doesn't matter.

Have you considered using a large pot to heat water on the stove as needed if you only need a few gallons at a time or are you trying to get rid of propane all together? Are you worried about leaks or an explosion? For the former, you could use an LP detector as mentioned. If you are worried about the latter, you could just use portable grill cans and move them to a safer location when mobile.

Cerd thank you for your thoughts.  I am worried about an explosion I was actually 2 sites down from a campsite that had the oven blow up, not something I want to experience for myself.  I am a former tent camper so very used to cooking on grill and hotplate.  I currently do heat up water in the micro or on the hotplate to wash the dishes but wanted to upgrade.

Richele said:
Cerd thank you for your thoughts.  I am worried about an explosion I was actually 2 sites down from a campsite that had the oven blow up, not something I want to experience for myself.  I am a former tent camper so very used to cooking on grill and hotplate.  I currently do heat up water in the micro or on the hotplate to wash the dishes but wanted to upgrade.
I would really want to know exactly why the oven in the RV blew up before being concerned about something happening in my RV.

I view this as not being willing to drive a car on the hwy or interstate because someone crashed into another car and people were injured or killed. 

Learning exactly why the RV blew up and then knowing what not to do in your RV so you are save is the way to go, rather than just not using the oven.

I was a kid when the explosion happened so I have no idea why or how it did.  I just know almost everyone around went to help and when my dad came back he said the oven had exploded. SO while I appreciate everyone's thoughts bottom line is I do not want anything except electric and yes I do know that electrically fires can occur.  With that being said we have decided to get the insta hot, as this will give me enough hot water to wash dishes.  We use the campsite facilities for showering so I don't need a lot of hot water.  Again thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

Fear is real, whether rational or not, so I can understand why you want to avoid LP gas appliances.

Your only real concern will be whether you have sufficient external power available for an electric-only heater as well as your other needs. You may find you need to turn it off when other appliances are using 120v power, but if your needs are as minimal as you say, that's probably not a problem.

We haven't used the oven yet in our camper, but its nice to have. What your guys' preferred cooking method?

In regards to the oven exploding, I am willing to bet that they bumped the dial so it was slowly leaking and when they finally got it lit, there was too much gas around them. But you should easily be able to smell that. At the least, an LP detector would definitely be able to tell you if there is a leak.

Thanks Gary I never thought to look into that my step dad is an electrician so I will "annoy" him about it.  If I whine enough he will figure out how to make it work for me. LOL
Cerd, we primarily use the charcoal grill. I also have an induction burner and microwave.  Currently I just heat up water in the micro or on the burner to wash dishes. 

Back
Top Bottom