Nobody uses CB radios these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had not looked at my CB for a few years.  I got it out today and realized it wouldn't work without a modification as my new car doesn't have a cigarette lighter socket.  ::)

i have a cb in the radio system on my harley ultra. i've driven bunches on miles on the super slab and never heard a peep out of any cb anywhere even though there were a zillion trucks on both sides of the roadway.
one thing for sure is just let them shut down 2 lanes of the road to work on  maintenance issues and the profanity prevails among the truckers. they have issues with each other and the little cage drivers trying to weed their way in, driving to the head of the closed lane.
the poor guys that are working on the roads don't know what kind of #***!!'s they are for being in the way.
it's times like that when you know your equipment is still functioning.

Lowell said:
I had not looked at my CB for a few years.  I got it out today and realized it wouldn't work without a modification as my new car doesn't have a cigarette lighter socket.  ::)

Don't you have a spot to plug in your GPS or cell phone chargers?

We always traveled with our CB on. I used it mostly on two lane roads with truckers. Being retired we weren't in a hurry so didn't drive as fast as the truckers. When one came up behind me I would let him know when it was clear to pass. Would also let him know that when I saw him pull out that I would be letting up on the throttle.
Driving a diesel, I knew how much momentum means on hills. If I saw a big rig over taking a slower rig on a hill, if I was already in the left lane, I would tell the other rig I was backing off and to come on out.
And as others have mentioned, it was great if you came up on a slow down to ask the opposite traffic what the problem was and how far ahead it was. Gave you the option to take a detour or wait it out.
There are still lots of uses for the CB.

We still use our CB occasionally, mainly to talk with a trucker if we see a problem or to hear what's causing a slow down up ahead.  You can't use a cell phone for that because you don't know all their cell phone numbers!  And, as mentioned previously, most states now do not allow cell phones to be used while driving unless it's hands free.  We tend to use FRS radios when with groups, such as offroad where there often is no cell service anyway.

Those of you who live in urban areas with good cell coverage perhaps don't realize how many areas of the USA are "dead" areas where cell phone usage is zero or so spotty it's unusable.  We live in the west and are often in areas with no cell towers at all for any carrier so we don't depend on cell phones for communicating or navigating.  There's even a southwestern Pa. campground we use where we have to drive a mile down the road to get a signal, so even "developed" parts of the USA have dead cell coverage zones.

ArdraF

Memtb said:
  WOW! You certainly ?go against the grain?....I thought that the ?Milwaukee Vibrator?  was the ?only? socially acceptable bike of today?s biker! ?

lol, I rode one once......about 2 miles. Couldn't stop shaking when I got off of it. We generally ride about 550 or 600 miles in a day on the wings.

We keep our CB on in the coach when on the road. We've been alerted numerous times to road hazards of some sort up ahead. I don't know that I would have bought one, but it came with the coach and we've found it useful enough to keep it around.

John Beard said:
Last week I made an effort to get my Ham License, I failed the test, but sometime in the near future I'll give it another shot. Ham Radio is where it's at. Cell phones just don't measure up to Ham Radio.
Keep studying and I'm sure you will pass it.

Here's a recent example of why we prefer our ham radio.  Our hand-held Yaesu FT2D is a scanner too (I think most ham radios are).  We were driving along the California coast when we came upon this emergency.  We quickly scanned the emergency frequency to find out what was going on.  This was a water rescue after a fall from a cliff.  You'll hear my radio as a CHP helicopter is flying overhead.  Ham radios are very versatile and can scan just about any frequency out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwkc3w6kHlA

We have one in the motorhome that is hardwired in to something under the dash.  Don't know if it's factory installed.  Don't use it and the DW complains it gets in the way.  Anyone remove for use in the toad.  As others have said off roaders use them. 

On a related note, I've read that the people who organize tours to AK or Mexico frequently require all RVs on the tour to have and use a CB.  (Can you say CONVOY, Good Buddy?)

John Beard said:
Last week I made an effort to get my Ham License, I failed the test, but sometime in the near future I'll give it another shot. Ham Radio is where it's at. Cell phones just don't measure up to Ham Radio.

I don't know what you used to study, but if it was a book, dump it and sign up for:

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

I was able to pass both the Technician and the General tests the same day, using this.

I'm incredibly impressed at how effective this kind of online training can be. 

Interesting Thread.
I loved my CB back in the day.  But on my final trip up the ALCAN ('07) it was little to no use; just not enough traffic, truckers, 4 lane highways etc.  Also was of little use here in Alaska.  So when I sold the truck in 2011, I let the CB go with it.
When/if I get to snowbird and travel around the lower 48, this is something I wonder if its worth mounting up and having.  As others have stated, if others are using it, mainly truckers, it does get you solid real time advice and warnings about road conditions, accidents, construction, etc safely while you are driving.  A lot of my uses were similar to Alaska snowbirds examples too.
If oncoming traffic doesn't have your cell # they can't call and warn you.  We all agree flipping thru your cell while driving is a bad idea.  APPs aren't always immediately up-to-date with conditions either.

Photog said:
Keep studying and I'm sure you will pass it.

I took a 3 day class followed by the test, the 3 day class (20 hours of instruction) consisted of hours of "stories" followed by a few minutes of actual instruction.

Our FMCA chapter uses CBs when we convoy to a rally. I carry 3 CBs in the MH, 2 to share with chapter members. They are still handy at times.

Back
Top Bottom