Bad steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuwanneeDave

This week we picked up new Flagstaff Microlite 23LB from an out of town dealer. (none available locally) Our previous TT was a Microlite and we were happy with it. When we picked it up and went through the PDI, everything seemed OK. Then we headed home and spent a couple of nights camping to sort things out. It then became apparent that there was a problem with the steps. The distance from the floor to the ground is 26 1/2 inches. Flagstaff provided a 2 step stair with a 9" rise. The distance from the floor to the first step is 11 1/2", and to the second step 9", which in my opinion exceeds any building code. It is especially relevant since this is a bunkhouse model. My wife and I are 69 and we will frequently travel with grandkids. An 11 1/2 inch drop to the first step seems hazardous for all of us. I have contacted Flagstaff and requested that they provide a 3 stem, 7" drop stairway.  I am hoping they will make this good but if not I can afford the cost of new steps, it just irritates me that I would have to do this.

Sorry to hear you a safety issue with the steps on your new RV. I would agree with you that 11 1/2 '' drop is to much. I know there are some codes the RV manufactures have to follow but I'm not sure there is one for RV steps. I would mention to the manufacturer the liability involved because there is already a prescient set in residential and commercial code for steps. A lawyer would love to get a hold of that one. Hope the company makes it right for you, be careful in the mean time. My wife and I are both 69 too, so we under stand the safety concern.

Tom

The steps on our Silverback seemed awfully steep and far apart as well, especially if there was low ground right off the parking pad.  I almost broke my neck a few times on those darned things and a couple of those times didn't even have anything to do with what was in my cup!

zebrex said:

Second this suggestion.  My mother in law has mobility issues.  Father in law installed these on their bunkhouse this year, and it's amazing how nice and stable they are by comparison.

I installed the Glowsteps by Torklift.  Absolutely the best RV steps we've ever had. Very stable and adjustable for different terrains. Our trail had the standard fold out 3 steps with a big rise between the top step and threshold, installed the 4 step Glowsteps, solved the problem.

We also installed the Glowsteps by Torklift. Easily installed in place of the manufacture steps. I have rheumatoid arthritis and the Glowsteps are so much better. They even have a handrail you can purchase. They stow very easily. We didn?t like the idea of raising steps and any dirt on them up into the RV like with the Moryde steps.

Vicki

I did a temporary fix by drilling new mounting holes. Now there are equal 9" steps between the floor and ground. Eventually I think I'll get something like the Morryde.

Safety issues is a vague term. One person's annoyance is another's mobility issue.

Steps in particular are a good example. Simply adding another step may not work on non-level ground where the step my not extend fully. This is one of the reasons municipal codes do not apply to RV's.

Fortunately the TT industry aftermarket has recognized this need and offers a new generation of stable steps.

Since the TT demographics have changed from baby boomers to young millennial with kids, steps are not a priority, USB port  locations are.

Back
Top Bottom