Fine Stranded Wires in a Circuit Breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xrated said:
So, if you don't know, why would you make a blanket statement about a group of people?  And actually, I've got a very good sense of humor, but I also have a very low tolerance for for people that categorize folks into a certain group just because they have seen a few bad examples and they think that everyone in that group is the same.  There are hard working folks everywhere....and there are lazy bums everywhere also....just don't lump me into a certain group because of what others do.  And yes, nerve hit!  I've always prided myself on being a smart, hard worker and very proud of my affiliation with and in the Electrical trade.......Rant off!

well i will apologize if you feel so strongly about this matter,  in my case i grew to dislike the very organisation that I was a member
of and left in disgust for other pastures.. I glad things have worked out for you...

solarman said:
well i will apologize if you feel so strongly about this matter,  in my case i grew to dislike the very organisation that I was a member
of and left in disgust for other pastures.. I glad things have worked out for you...

Thank you, I appreciate that!  And, anyone that has achieved the level of education that you have in the Electrical field, has something to be very proud of....congratulations on your success and career choice.  :))

SeilerBird said:
You are going to have to understand there are some hard core union haters in this world. When I first got on this board we had a dilly of a union hater hanging out regularly here. I made the mistake of mentioning I was a retired union electrician and from that point on he made a point of trying to disprove many of my statements. I finally stopped mentioning my union credentials and fortunately the union hater no long hangs here.

I do understand that there are people that there ARE union haters.....but what I don't understand is people that lump everyone into a category of fill in the blank, just because they are union.  That's like saying that every Black person is bad.....or every Jewish person, or Muslim, or whatever!  There are good and bad folks of every race, creed, color, religion, union, non-union, even good and bad folks that camp.  I'm just not very tolerant of being placed or lumped in with something that a person thinks is a useless deadbeat that does nothing at work all day.  So, I'm done with this ......it is Waaaaay off topic and I'm not here to start any union crusades.  8)

solarman said:
xrated said:
Thank you, I appreciate that!  And, anyone that has achieved the level of education that you have in the Electrical field, has something to be very proud of....congratulations on your success and career choice.  :))

If you two are done with your bromance I have a little story to tell. I just added a new outlet for a phone base the other day. Used stranded lamp cord. Worked great. Did not tin it or double it. I am a former member of IBEW Local 756, Daytona Beach, FL. I was a Class B Operator on a line crew. My Dad was a lineman and my brother was an interior electrician. I never played a doctor on TV but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Oldgator73 said:
If you two are done with your bromance I have a little story to tell. I just added a new outlet for a phone base the other day. Used stranded lamp cord. Worked great. Did not tin it or double it. I am a former member of IBEW Local 756, Daytona Beach, FL. I was a Class B Operator on a line crew. My Dad was a lineman and my brother was an interior electrician. I never played a doctor on TV but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Cool story Bro.......but Jealousy will get you no where!.....and being from Florida, well that explains a lot right there!  ;D

While tinning the wire can cause mechanical stress it shouldn't cause problems if you keep slack between the point the wire is terminated and the first attachment point. I have wired on boats and ships since the late '70s and haven't had a tinned wire connection break yet.  I much prefer a crimped on pin terminal or clamp type screw terminal though. In fact ABYC does not allow terminals where the screw itself bears on the conductors. The biggest problem I have seen is not paying attention to the simple stuff like making sure the wire is fully inserted and tightening the screws several times.

this discussion reminds me...and this is fitting coming right after a post by boatbuilder....
There's a code regarding wiring on boats.... I think it's a USCG regulation, or some such thing... all wiring must be stranded.  Solid wire like romex is never used on boats...I don't like using absolutes like 'never', there may be exceptions to that that I'm not aware of... but never as far as I know...

The reason?
work hardening and breakage.  (like how you break a wire coat hanger by bending it back and forth).  The cycle of compression/tension stressing cause metal to get harder, and therefore brittle.  Imagine a romex wire running through a staple or some other attachment to structure and the loose part of the wire between supports is bouncing up and down all day in the waves....  I'v often wondered why a similar rule doesn't apply to RV's.  The only difference I can think of is that fire danger on a boat can be significantly worse, so things are done a bit more carefully.

blw2 said:
this discussion reminds me...and this is fitting coming right after a post by boatbuilder....
There's a code regarding wiring on boats.... I think it's a USCG regulation, or some such thing... all wiring must be stranded.  Solid wire like romex is never used on boats...I don't like using absolutes like 'never', there may be exceptions to that that I'm not aware of... but never as far as I know...

The reason?
work hardening and breakage.  (like how you break a wire coat hanger by bending it back and forth).  The cycle of compression/tension stressing cause metal to get harder, and therefore brittle.  Imagine a romex wire running through a staple or some other attachment to structure and the loose part of the wire between supports is bouncing up and down all day in the waves....  I'v often wondered why a similar rule doesn't apply to RV's.  The only difference I can think of is that fire danger on a boat can be significantly worse, so things are done a bit more carefully.

Just a wild guess here for the possible logic  on why the requirements for a boat wiring vs. an RV wiring requirement.  Boats are pretty much moving all the time when they are in use.  RVs, on the other hand might travel xxxx miles, then sit in a spot for days, weeks, or even months sometimes....thus they aren't subjected to the stress that a boat might be.  Again, just a WAG!

xrated said:
Just a wild guess here for the possible logic  on why the requirements for a boat wiring vs. an RV wiring requirement.  Boats are pretty much moving all the time when they are in use.  RVs, on the other hand might travel xxxx miles, then sit in a spot for days, weeks, or even months sometimes....thus they aren't subjected to the stress that a boat might be.  Again, just a WAG!

The best logic I can think of is that there are defined best practices and standards for marine use and NO standards of any kind for RV's.
this is evident when looking at the wiring in a typical RV, the ones I have seen look like they were done using a playskool "my first RV wiring exercise book"

Back
Top Bottom