Fresh Water Drain on Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virgie & Fred

Need assistance in locating the fresh water tank valve on a 2018 Forest River Sun Seeker, Class C 32' Model 3010DS. I need to drain some fresh water for my trip. If anyone out there has this model please respond. Dealer not available to answer this question. Also looked on you tube with no success. 

Why do you need to drain some? When I travel to FL, I always have at least a 1/2 tank of water. If traveling further, I fill it up.
The dealer should be able to answer your question tomorrow with a phone call even if you're leaving in 5 minutes.

Well, actually this request for info is for my brother-in-law who just bought the rv. He tried to contact the dealer but could not reach them. He is looking at the gas mileage aspect of it.
His rv fills the fresh water tank when he hooks to shore water source for some reason. My rv has two sources for fresh water. He is going from north to south padre island with a full tank of water. Not necessary. This is only a three hour trip. He is on the road now.

Despite the tons of internet wisdom on the topic, the amount of water in the tank has very little effect on fuel economy. Just about zero on level ground, since the extra weight never gets lifted (as in hill climbing).    Besides, we are talking at most 400 lbs (50 gallons @ 8 lbs/gal) in a rig that weighs around 14,000 total.

Back in the day, an extra 200 lbs of water in a small trailer might make a difference, especially in balance (which alters the road manners). Nowadays, and in a larger and heavier vehicle, not so much.

Thank you for the info on gas mileage. I just wanted to help a family member locate a valve on a Rv. I would help him look for it but I am not near him. 

Virgie & Fred said:
His rv fills the fresh water tank when he hooks to shore water source for some reason. My rv has two sources for fresh water.
There ate only 2 ways that I know of where a tank fills while hooked up to shore power. The first is the internal check valve in the water pump may be leaking by. Unlikely his problem where it's a new RV but it's possible some grit has gotten in there.

The other way is the valve used to fill the tank is not closed all the way allowing water to fill the tank.

He can prove that it's one of those scenarios by running his pump. If it shuts off and then a short time later it starts up again, it's one of those. That's of course providing there's no water leaking on the ground.

It's easy to troubleshoot which one is leaking but it would require draining the tank. Take it back to the dealer or see if a mobile repair guy can look at it and as long as it would still be covered by a warrantee.

Back
Top Bottom