Dometic induced insanity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slumberqueen

I?m probably in the wrong place to write this but I?ve been struggling for days now...my toyota Mh came with a brand new fridge installed last fall. It?s a 2 way Ac/gas, needs 9volts dc to operate the control/eyebrow part. Bought a brand new deep cycle battery so no guesswork. It lit on gas I can see the flame, left it overnight, nothing, no cooling...it?s a dometic RM 2351, looks unused, and yes I have moved the thermistor as far as it will go on the fin.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

9 volts DC?  Should be 12 volts from the house battery.

Beyond that, if the flame stays lit the refrigerator should produce cooling.  It may take some time before you feel cooling inside the fridge.  Make sure there's nothing blocking the flue that takes the heat through the boiler and make sure you have a clear chimney behind the fridge to carry waste heat out the roof vent while drawing in cooler air from the wall vent.  Both vents must be clear for proper airflow.

And if you're opening the door on an empty fridge, it will feel warm in about 2 seconds. Place a pocket thermometer in about an inch or so of water in a glass. Even a fridge thermometer will give a "false" reading by the time your eyes focus on it.

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-inch-pocket-thermometer-46586.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Yes, 12v to the main control board, not 9v. You need not worry about the eyebrow panel by itself - just deliver 12+ volts to the main power connection.

You say the LP gas flame lit and stayed on?  Presumably, then, the tubing behind the fridge got quite hot?  But still no cooling?  The freezer  area should get noticeably cool within a few  hours, at least on the rear wall where the chill plate is. It takes much longer for the whole fridge to chill, though.

The fridge has to be reasonably level to work, level enough to be comfortable walking around inside.

If the flame is on and its level, about the only thing left is a faulty cooling unit, e.g. on that lost its charge due to a leak.  Was this a brand new fridge from a dealer or RV supply store, or something you found elsewhere?

Thank you all for your help. It?s a brand new fridge install last July at an rv dealership. The motorhome then sat unused and uncovered till last week when we bought it. I?ve been in touch with the dealership, who is helpful, he said he thought the flame was small. I will be going back to it today to check. He also said the thermistor should be on the 3rd fin and to check that the wire inside it is properly connected. Right now it?s on the last fin on the right....these  fridges are SO finicky?

If the flame has lit, the thermister is functioning. The flame doesn't even light until the controller recognizes a call for cooling (and that comes from the thermister).

A very low flame, however, could be a problem. The boiler has to reach about 350 degrees for the cooling unit to function at all.  Can you plug it into a 120v outlet and see if it cools in electric mode?  If not the whole RV (shore cord), at least plug the fridge cord into 120v? A 15A outlet is plenty if you don't try to power other things in the coach.

Thanks for that info, Gary, everything I learn helps for sure. I have the rv plugged into shore power since about 5pm and will check tomorrow for cooling. It?s off to the Toyota mechanic tomorrow for a tuneup and roadworthy test, so fingers crossed. ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom