HELP!!! My Xantrex 2000 watt inverter keeps reseting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hozer

Xantrex PROWatt 2000 Inverter, Model# 806-1220 keeps resetting. I think it may be heat but not sure. I used my thermal lazer heat gun the front is 100 degrees in the front of the 1nverter and on the rear of inverter is 102 degrees. Ambient outside air temp is 96 degrees. The inverter is inside my generator area in my 5th wheel.with 2 fans to circulate air out of the generator box.

Here is what I run. ( I live in my RV )

1. 4 solar panels total. One Controller for every 2 panels @ 350 whats each total is 1400 watts of solar.
2. Two Tristar Moringstar 45 amp controllers.
3. I have a 960 amp hour battery bank.

Now at the time of the inverter reset itself I was pulling about 550 watts.Any ideas why the inverter is resetting?

Thanks in advance ;)

Hard to say.  It does have a thermal cut-out, and also cut-outs for both high & low DC voltage cut-out and overload (excessive output amps).

If you are convinced it is thermal, make sure the internal fan is operable and that the air intakes/outlets aren't clogged with dust.

100 F. on the surfaces is rather warm, so probably much higher inside the covers.
Troubleshoot info in  the Prowatt owner manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1051387/Xantrex-Prowatt-Sw-1000.html?page=29#manual

Not sure for sure its thermal but what I will do tomorrow I will pull the inverter and use a can of "AIR" and blow out the inverter with any dust it may have inside.

Will update soon.

Thanks for the reply ;)

Molaker said:
Have you checked the load on the inverter (what's drawing AC power from it)?

I was pulling about 550 watts at the time when the inverter reset itself.

hozer said:
I was pulling about 550 watts at the time when the inverter reset itself.
Sooo, you're drawing about 25% of max load and the ambient temp is running 100 degrees plus.  According to the data sheet, the operating temperature range is 32* F - 104* F. I'd say you are bumping the max temp shutdown.

That is one hot unit! Blow a small fan right at the unit if you can. It will help dissipate the heat. It may not help enough though at those ambient temperatures.

It could be thermal, but the max ambient temperature is 104, and you say the shell is only 102, well within limits(ish). I'd have a look at your incoming connections to make sure they're still tight. 

jermc said:
It could be thermal, but the max ambient temperature is 104, and you say the shell is only 102, well within limits(ish). I'd have a look at your incoming connections to make sure they're still tight.

Found the problem!!! But buyers beware of Xantrex inverters!!!!

Called Xantrex support. They would not help me because I could not find the sales receipt. Even when I registered my inverter and they do NOT go by the serial number. W.T.F. is up with that BS!!! So what the hell is the point of registering the inverter anyways??? So if you dont have the sales receipt and you bought a Xantrex Inverter YOUR SCREWED!!!! if your inverter is under warranty like mine is. ( 1 year old ) of a 2 year warranty.

The problem was the two rear fans would not come on. So what I did I got some velcro and attached a 6 inch computer fan on opening underneath the inverter wired the fan to the Plus and minus poles on the inverter. Used 2 4x4 blocks to sit the inverter on for clearance!! Man... You can feel air coming out the front an the back of the inverter! So I hope this works cuz I don't have another $400 bux for another one.

So DONT LOOSE YOUR SALES RECEIPT!!!!

Will be back later to let you known if this works or not!!
Cya ;)

Whenever possible we will put our receipts in a zip lock baggie and tape or otherwise attach them to the item somewhere.  If the item has a user manual worth keeping, then the receipt will go in there because the user manual goes in a big binder with all the other user manuals.

FenderP said:
Whenever possible we will put our receipts in a zip lock baggie and tape or otherwise attach them to the item somewhere.  If the item has a user manual worth keeping, then the receipt will go in there because the user manual goes in a big binder with all the other user manuals.

Well for the last few days putting a 6" computer fan on the belly of the inverter works great!!! Just remember DON'T LOOSE YOUR RECEIPT!!!

hozer said:
Well for the last few days putting a 6" computer fan on the belly of the inverter works great!!! Just remember DON'T LOOSE YOUR RECEIPT!!!

Haha. Right on brother.

Back
Top Bottom