Propane range question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

housedhs

I have a great propane system, keeping the fridge/freezer cold, and the range working great.

When I'm on inclines i notice it stops working.

Back on flat ground it works great.

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before lighting the range, after being on a hill?

Parking on hills is just a necessity right now.

Thanks!

You?re saying the range doesn?t work on inclines? Never heard of that problem and can?t imagine an incline such that you could still walk in your rig that would have any effect on the range. The fridge is a different issue, and should never be operated on anything other than a very slight incline

Full disclosure, I assumed the range wouldn't work if the fridge wasn't working...

As far as operating the fridge only on level ground, how urgent is that?

My habit is to just leave it running, 24/7. It's a 2001 model RV so, again may be assuming too much, wouldn't any accidents with inclines have already happened?

housedhs said:
As far as operating the fridge only on level ground, how urgent is that?

Very urgent. Damage is unseen and cumulative. No exceptions. My understanding is the older fridges are even more sensitive than the newer ones

This is great info. I came straight back to the RV and turned it off.

Do you suggest replacing this with a DC powered refrigerator? If so could you recommend a model?

I have 300w solar panels on an 80 aH lithium battery, all quite new. My electricity usage is low, just s bit of light, a little water pumping and an overhead fan.

housedhs said:
This is great info. I came straight back to the RV and turned it off.

Do you suggest replacing this with a DC powered refrigerator? If so could you recommend a model?

I have 300w solar panels on an 80 aH lithium battery, all quite new. My electricity usage is low, just s bit of light, a little water pumping and an overhead fan.

Not knowing your needs I couldn?t make a recommendation. I have a DC powered freezer that can also be used as a fridge, but it?s only a little over 3 cubic feet, quite small for a fridge, essentially a medium sized chest cooler. Otherwise if you wanted to go with an electric (residential) fridge, it would be 120v and you don?t have enough solar or battery to support one. If your fridge is working for you I?d continue using it as absorption fridges are the best for boondocking. Just be sure you?re level.

"Level" for the fridge is a max tilt of 3 degrees. That translates to about a 5% grade, a rise of 5 ft per 100 ft of distance.  On a 30 ft RV, that's one end about 18" higher than the other.  Ideally the tilt should be much less, under 1%.

Hi Gary and all,

Just for clarification (which will probably muddy the water) 18" higher on one end of an 30 foot RV but wondering how far off the width of an RV dare be or if that would be an issue?

Normally the fridge is mounted with its back to the side of the RV.  With this setup tire to tire level is about 4-5 inchs and as Gary said, 18" on a 30' RV.

With an RV this unlevel most people would not be at all comfortable walking, sitting or sleeping in the RV.

it is my understanding that rv refrigerators work by a process called "absorption". when running on propane.
if you google that you will find that the way that system works, you should never
ever have it running while your driving. and it should be level. when the rv isn't level,
the level tubes run dry and wont function and can cause a fire.

housedhs said:
I have a great propane system, keeping the fridge/freezer cold, and the range working great.

When I'm on inclines i notice it stops working.

Back on flat ground it works great.

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before lighting the range, after being on a hill?

Parking on hills is just a necessity right now.

Thanks!

Constrictor said:
it is my understanding that rv refrigerators work by a process called "absorption". when running on propane.
if you google that you will find that the way that system works, you should never
ever have it running while your driving. and it should be level. when the rv isn't level,
the level tubes run dry and wont function and can cause a fire.
RV fridges only use the absorption process, whether running on AC or propane. Regarding running it while driving, that is a personal decision. I believe most people leave the fridge running while driving which, so long as you are not stopped in traffic on a steep hill for prolonged periods, is usually not an issue - the movement of the vehicle aids in the movement of the coolant. The fridge should definitely be off for fueling or while getting propane.

For the fridge, "stopped on a steep hill" means stopped for 15,20, or 30 minutes.  5-10 minutes is not a problem.

It us usually people concerned with leaving the propane turned on when traveling that causes people to want to have the fridge off.

Of course the propane system is pressurized to only 0.5PSI (1/2 PSI) while you gas or diesel engine fuel lines are pressurized to 45-60PSI.  You would be safer cutting off the engine fuel line.  OOPS, you wouldn't be able to drive then. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom