Some basic winterizing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Some friends of ours recently purchased a trailer and they were describing how this particular model (forgot the name) was well insulated for cold weather use. Got me to thinking about the new-to-us Class A we expect to purchase soon.

If we purchase this Class A during the summer with the expectation of traveling to warmer climates come winter, would we need to winterize it when it got cold along towards winter then de-winterize (?) before heading south in  January? One never knows what the weather will be of course but there's a good chance that where we live the temps will be well below freezing at some points before the end of the year.

Perhaps it varies from model to model? It's probably only December where low temps could be an issue but would that mean that we'd have to do the winterizing for just that one month where it wouldn't be in use?

Finally, it sure seems that most Class were born to fulfill their destiny of transporting their owners out of cold climates in the winter, but are there any motor homes that have features that make them well suited for cold, winter operation?

You will need to winterize if the temperatures get below freezing, or your plumbing will freeze and break.  32 degrees, short time, probably safe.  30 degrees, a couple days straight, probably not ok.  There are easy ways to winterize the plumbing, I blow out with air, then run rv antifreeze.  For me, I'd side with caution if you even thought it could freeze.  Too many horror stories, and if something freezes, according to Murphy's Law, it won't break in a easy to reach place.  ;)

I use to just blow down my system for winter. No pink stuff. We use to leave for FL at the end of November when it's really starting to get cold here. What I use to do was the day we planned on leaving, I would fill my fresh water tank then leave. I would put a little pink stuff in my black tank. Maybe 1/2 gallon. Then we would head south. I had a couple of milk jugs of water just to flush the toilet. When we would reach VA, I'd turn the pump on and fill the entire system. No pink stuff to flush out.
Now I have a different approach. We leave the end of October.

Doesn't matter how much insulation you have, if there is nothing to generate heat within the insulation, it gets just as cold as ambient.  Water will freeze inside your refrigerator in the winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom