Shark Fin Radio Antenna on RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

I am looking to upgrade the antenna on my RV. I have heard of using the TV antenna patched in to the radio, but ours broke, so I removed it last year. I see a lot of people use satellite radio, but I wasn't impressed with the channel selections when we had it. Plus, I'm a bit sour from the last time we bought a car. The dealer signed us up for the trial even though we specifically requested to opt out. They kept calling us once a week essentially interrogating us about how we liked it. It was bad enough that I ended up blocking all of the numbers they were calling from, so I REFUSE to buy a subscription from them.

All I want is to simply upgrade the antenna. I believe the issue is that the existing antenna is getting blocked by the cab depending on direction of travel vs radio tower location. Therefore, I was thinking about installing a retractable antenna on the roof (so I can put a tarp over it without having to worry about puncturing it), but I was wondering if anybody has tried one of those shark fin antennas on an RV. If they work, that would be the easiest and cleanest solution.

I know you said no satellite radio, but are we talking broadcast radio antenna only?    Or maybe tv or cellular or wifi too?  I've not seen a shark for tv, but some claim cellular and/or wifi.

I've heard that this type of antenna works well only where reception is fairly strong (as it usually is along streets and highways). Maybe not so good in marginal reception areas?  I haven't noticed any problem with the shark fins on my last three vehicles (10 years), but we don't listen to AM at all and only occasionally to FM.  We mostly use CD or MP3 audio, with occasional satellite radio (like you, not a big fan of Sirius/XM).

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am looking for an antenna for FM radio only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom