Installing a TV, but kind of a unique situation... need some help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbjunkie87

Hello all,

I need some help deciding on how to install my tv.

I bought a Prime Time Avenger earlier this year, and it did not come with a tv. I have a small flat screen tv (13" screen maybe?) that I had planned on putting in above the dinette on the wall. The TV backer was not high enough for my liking (the sticker was about 10 inches below the ceiling, but the actual backer board was more like 14 inches below the ceiling). I wanted it higher on the wall, so the tv would be as close to the ceiling as possible. I took out the outlet and put some small chunks of 2x4 and mounted the bracket to that. Well going down the road, the strap that keeps the tv arm from swining out came out of didn't get done before transit, so when I got to my destination, I found the tv on the floor. So now I have a cracked thin plywood wall, a nonwall mounted tv, and an angry wife.

My question is, how do I remount the tv to the wall? I want to put it back in the same (or close to the same) spot I had it originally. My first thought was to recess it into the wall, but I can't because there is a pipe that runs diagonally in the wall. So how can i mount the tv? There aren't any vertical studs that I could see in the wall, this camper is so cheaply made :/ There is the tv backer board, then a horizontal stud below it that I think the dinette seat is mounted to.

Can I use some liquid nails and "glue" a piece of plywood to the inside of the wall cavity (on the other side of the wall are 2 bunks, so I'd glue to the same piece of plywood that the bunks are mounted to), and mount the tv arm to that? I'll try and get some pictures up later today to help illustrate my story here.

Yeah, you should be able to bond a backer to the skin with a good quality adhesive.  A 13" tv isn't all that heavy, but bumps and  vibration puts stress on mounting screws so they need something to bite into. Consider using bolts rather than screws. If you can't easily put nuts on the backside, use a hollow wall anchor, molly or toggle bolt or similar.
https://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infanchor/infanchor.html

I was thinking of using liquid nails Or something similar to bond a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" plywood to the inside cavity of the wall (so its on the piece of thin plywood that the bunks are mounted to), then frame it out with more wood to create sort of a box, and then mount the tv arm to the plywood. This way the weight would be on the plywood backer, and the wood frame. I just hope that's enough weight distribution.

The problem with bolts is going to be the thin plywood. No matter where I anchor it, whether its the surface it was originally mounted on (the side facing the dinette) or if I run bolts through to the other side where the bunks are, it's not going to be pretty. The plywood is just so thin that even a small amount of tension to cinch the nut down on the bolt will probably pull the nut through the flimsy plywood.

Do you need the television to swivel? If not, maybe a PAW mount will work for you.

https://www.pawinternational.com/tv_bracket/default.html

You can hang the TV when parked, and just take it down and lay it on the bed when traveling. A PAW mount can also be installed on the outside of your trailer, then just hang the TV on it if you desire to watch it outside.

I don't have a lot of faith in adhesives. There has to be something else that you can mount it to. Did you ever take a few pictures?

Back
Top Bottom