Conversion van rental...any market for one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dante2004

Something like the Van in the photo attached...

We are looking at purchasing a conversion van similar to the one in the photo.  We haven't narrowed down the year/model but that really isn't the point of the question.

It seems like there is a decent rental market for traditional RV's, but is there much of a market for renting your conversion van?  Especially one that is primarily just setup for seating/travel and not overnights?  I know many people can't stomach the idea of renting out their toy and I get that.  But for us, the only way we can make this happen (financially) is if we can occasionally rent it out to help offset the cost.  I don't have any wild ideas about this making us tons of money, just defray some costs.  Something like this would make a great vehicle for family road trips.  And there are several sites we could use to rent out. 

But...wanted some REAL feedback from others who have tried to rent their vehicle.

Thanks!

Attachments

• e186ed3b3a8e4f3bb6980aa272ad1414.jpg
    e186ed3b3a8e4f3bb6980aa272ad1414.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 23
Having owned a conversion van or two back in the 15-25 years ago they can be nice to travel in, particularly with small groups, though they are sort of a half step between a regular car and a motorhome.  The problem as I see it when considering renting one out is that "travel" bit, they can be great for longer day trips, and even group weekend getaways where some miles of traveling is involved.  They are less good for shorter day outings, and don't provide that shelter that motorhomes can offer at nearby day events, ballgames, etc. with their generator powered air conditioning, bathrooms, and kitchen facilities, this means people that you may rent it out to will likely be putting a number of miles on the van in a short period of time.  Also you must compete with places like Enterprise who rent out "passenger vans" for around $90 -$110 per day depending on location.  Sure it is not a direct comparison, with a trade off of increased passenger seating for luxury level, but it is one you can be many of your potential renters will be doing.  I met a group of four Australians traveling and tent camping in a rental passenger van last month in Texas, they were in a Ford Transit van, I think a 12 passenger model rented from one of the big car rental companies, but seemed very happy with it, as even with all the seating it gave them room to spread out.

Without having the advance knowledge that you would be find a ready rental market, you run the very real risk of buying a vehicle you have stated you can?t afford. I think a far better option would be to find a really nice used one at half to 2/3 the price. It gets the cost down to something you can afford, and you don?t have to worry about renting it. (The commercial rental insurance is likely to eat up much of your rental ?profits? anyway.) Plus, buying used is smarter financially.

Back
Top Bottom