Palo Duro grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUTRIKERS

So, I?ve heard the entrance to the park is 10% grade.  Just how long is the grade, 1/2 mile, a mile, ?  My rig is class A, gas, so I guess it?s put in lowest gear. 

Been down twice.  Once with an F250 long bed pulling a 30' travel trailer and once with a class A motorhome with toad.  We disconnected the toad for the drive down.  Don't know if it's necessary but no reason not to.  The grade at 10 - 15 mph is not bad.  Take you're time and you won't have any problems.   

Down is the real issue, not up. I went down when I had a 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton diesel. Part way down was the first time I realized that my trailer brakes were worthless (on a brand new trailer).  The trailer pushed me most of the way down the grade. Thank heaven for low gears and a exhaust brake.  It's about a mile down with switchbacks and the grade you mentioned.

Make sure all of your brake equipment is in top notch condition. They will get a work out.

The grade is only about 1/2 mile long.  I slow down to about 5mph at the top and manually gear down to 1st gear and just let the rig creep down the hill, using my brakes if my speed gets up to 15-20mph and then brake quickly to about 10mph. 

On a grade like this I WILL NOT go to tow/haul mode and let the transmission select the proper gear.  My speed would increase much to quickly if I just left the transmission in whatever gear it is at 20-30mph at the top of the a 10% grade. 

SargeW said:
Down is the real issue, not up. I went down when I had a 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton diesel. Part way down was the first time I realized that my trailer brakes were worthless (on a brand new trailer).  The trailer pushed me most of the way down the grade. Thank heaven for low gears and a exhaust brake.  It's about a mile down with switchbacks and the grade you mentioned.

Make sure all of your brake equipment is in top notch condition. They will get a work out.
My 1/2 mile estimate is a little short.  You are correct, it is about 1 mile down the hill.  I used Google Earth and Delorme Street Atlas to figure out where the hill starts and ends and found out it is indeed about 1 mile

garyb1st said:
At 5 mph, 1/2 mile feels like forever.
No worries, it is very easy to start at 5mph, and let the speed go up and move to a higher gear to what is comfortable for you and your rig.

It is more fun and challenging to start at 30-40mph and then try to get your speed down.  :)

If you are talking about Palo Duro canyon, in Texas. The grade doesn't start at the park entrance. It's about a mile or so in. I drive a 45 foot school bus for Amarillo, and drive down into the canyon quite regularly. Put it in low gear and let you engine do the work. You might have to apply a little bit of brake, but it's not all that bad. It's just like anything else. It gets easier with practice. It's a beautiful place. Be very careful, though. Drink lots of water and beware of the heat in the canyon. Very dangerous this time of year.

You have several curves at the top, then you get this long straight stretch.

Just in case you get the urge to let her roll a little, resist the urge because this is at the bottom.

After you get past the last corner in the far left corner, you are OK.
I had pictures, but they are too large. Just don't get cocky, I've seen cars w/o trailers get in trouble at the bottom. The climb out is a piece of cake. You should watch the water temp and be prepared to turn off the A/C in hot weather. You may also need to turn the heater up on high if it really gets hot. People laugh but better hot feet than a toasted engine.

It's not a bad grade at all, it is quite short.  We've been up and down it in our 40' Dynasty towing our Jeep (didn't disconnect) without any issues and wouldn't hesitate again.

When departing the park I suggest doing it as early as possible to avoid passing one of the large passenger busses that descend in the mornings.  My biggest concern was not the grade, it was passing a 45' bus on one of the curves coming down as we were climbing up and out of the canyon.  We departed at 8:00am and didn't pass another vehicle on the way out of the canyon.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom