Sorry New Guy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudstoy

I'm Looking at a 255RR toy Hauler just over 6000lb. One dealer says can be pulled by 1/2 ton truck other one says no. Truck set for 9800lb I know that's not the same so how do i know. Any help will be great Thanks

Is this a fifth wheel? If so it's unlikely a 1/2 ton can support the pin weight.
What is the max weight of the trailer, not the dry weight.
What is the payload/cargo capacity of the the exact truck you are looking?  The precise vehicle, not internet number.  There is a yellow sticker on the drivers side door support or inner rocker panel that will tell you information for that specific vehicle.

I just looked up a 255RR Toy Hauler.  6900 lbs empty, and 11,500 lbs GVWR!  That's NOT a trailer for an F150.  That one would overload a bunch of F250 truck's

xrated said:
I just looked up a 255RR Toy Hauler.  6900 lbs empty, and 11,500 lbs GVWR!  That's NOT a trailer for an F150.  That one would overload a bunch of F250 truck's

My thoughts exactly. At least one salesman was honest. The other salesman just kinda omitted the fact you could tow it as long as it was empty. Even then, the pin weight would be maxing you out.

Welcome to the Forum!  Thanks so much for asking!

If you have the truck already, what does the yellow placard on the driver door latch pillar say is the max load you can carry?  That is your limit and MUST include everything carried in and on the truck.

A FW places around 20% of its ACTUAL weight on the pin.  Using the EMPTY weight of nearly 7,000#, that is 1400# carried by the truck BEFORE you add 200# for the FW hitch or sit down in the truck and add your own weight.  You are probably overloaded already, and you have not yet put ANYTHING into the TH, which will increase pin wt.

VERY few ? ton trucks can safely pull any FW,  and almost none can pull this FW!

Mudstoy said:
I'm Looking at a 255RR toy Hauler just over 6000lb. One dealer says can be pulled by 1/2 ton truck other one says no. Truck set for 9800lb I know that's not the same so how do i know. Any help will be great Thanks

1/2 ton trucks come with GVWR up to 8600 lbs and 6000 RAWR on down to small 6600 gvwr and tiny 3200 rawr all depending on model and year of manufacturer.

The only F150 that can handle a trailer that size is the HD model with a 8200-7850 GVWR and 4900 RAWR.
Any gas or diesel 3/4 ton truck can safely tow that size trailer.

I see many F150 owners with 6800-7050 GVWR and 3800-4050 RAWR complain their truck didn't carry the load as expected. They simply choose the wrong F150.

All F150 don't have the same capabilities

longhaul said:
1/2 ton trucks come with GVWR up to 8600 lbs and 6000 RAWR on down to small 6600 gvwr and tiny 3200 rawr all depending on model and year of manufacturer.

The only F150 that can handle a trailer that size is the HD model with a 8200-7850 GVWR and 4900 RAWR.
Any gas or diesel 3/4 ton truck can safely tow that size trailer.

I see many F150 owners with 6800-7050 GVWR and 3800-4050 RAWR complain their truck didn't carry the load as expected. They simply choose the wrong F150.

All F150 don't have the same capabilities

Not true.  My previous truck, a 2011 F250 CrewCab, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Shortbed XLT had a payload of 2148 lbs.  That trailer, loaded up to the GVWR (11,500 lbs) would have put 2300 lbs of pin weight on the truck, plus another 175-200 lbs of hitch would have put 2500 lbs on it......which is 350 lbs over the payload capacity.  Then there's that pesky issue of driver weight, passenger(s) weight, tools, firewood, luggage, and who knows what else to add.  Like I said, that big of a trailer would overload a LOT of 3/4 Ton trucks.

Mudstoy said:

It can be towed by a 1/2, but only the ones within the ratings. 

The Tundra SR5 double cab V8, Silverado with the Max Trailing package will handle it just fine with payload to spare , and the F150 with the  heavy duty payload package is another truck.

A 3/4 isn't needed unless you just want one, but not needed.

Don't buy a vehicle based on 11,000 lbs, unless you plan on adding that extra weight, and go by the dry weight, weight the trailer for actual weight, but only add to your trailer what you can safely tow.

The extra potential cargo weight is just a cushion, and means your axles is more robust than most trailers.

xrated said:
Not true.  My previous truck, a 2011 F250 CrewCab, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Shortbed XLT had a payload of 2148 lbs.  That trailer, loaded up to the GVWR (11,500 lbs) would have put 2300 lbs of pin weight on the truck, plus another 175-200 lbs of hitch would have put 2500 lbs on it......which is 350 lbs over the payload capacity.  Then there's that pesky issue of driver weight, passenger(s) weight, tools, firewood, luggage, and who knows what else to add.  Like I said, that big of a trailer would overload a LOT of 3/4 Ton trucks.

Why would anyone try to load over 3,500 pounds on that light trailer when they know they don't have a truck to tow the maximum weight.

That trailer will likely be over the dry weight, but not that much over it, and the proper 1/2 has the capacity, but he just won't be able to load it up near the cargo capacity.

...but he just won't be able to load it up near the cargo capacity.
And thus poised on a very slippery slope. Will he go to the scales every few trips to make sure he is still OK?  Will he tell wife or kids they can't bring a favorite item cause the truck is already at max load?  Maybe, but it's not something I would place a bet on.

Besides, the only 255RR toyhauler I can find is a Cherokee 5W, so even near-empty that trailer will place something north of 1400 lbs on the truck suspension (20% of laoded weight).  Rare is the F150 that can carry that much and some passengers as well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
And thus poised on a very slippery slope. Will he go to the scales every few trips to make sure he is still OK?  Will he tell wife or kids they can't bring a favorite item cause the truck is already at max load?  Maybe, but it's not something I would place a bet on.

Besides, the only 255RR toyhauler I can find is a Cherokee 5W, so even near-empty that trailer will place something north of 1400 lbs on the truck suspension (20% of laoded weight).  Rare is the F150 that can carry that much and some passengers as well.

I'm betting he has a Tundra, because that is the tow rating of SR5 double cab. He didn't mention anything regarding a family,  and I didn't consider a wife and a big family, and I didn't want to give him an imaginary wife and kids.

I'd would only tow a small 5th with a HDPP or Silverado with the Max Trailering package, which can definitely handle the pin weight without worry.

The Tundra has the cargo weight, but he will have to skip anything above the SR 5 double cab...no CrewMax.

Like I said, that big of a trailer would overload a LOT of 3/4 Ton trucks.
  Still not true.....however your using the trucks payload sticker for carrying a load in the bed  and the rest of the real world uses axle rating to carry the load in the bed.

Wood - you are flat out wrong!!

First, that FW probably weighs more than the dry wt when he tows it home.  He will likely fill the LP tanks, probably load a few (heavy) toys and some extra fuel for them.  My guess is there will be sheets, pillows, a couple changes of clothing, soap and shampoo, towels, food, pots and pans, plates and silverware, some drinks, lawn chairs, water and sewer hoses and maybe an extra pair of shoes. DRY WT DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY OF THESE!!  THIS ASSUMES NO FAMILY.

Second, you carry much more than pin wt.  It really helps if you use a hitch (200#) and have room in the weight limit for a driver (150 - 200#) and maybe some tools or leveling blocks in the truck.

No Way ANY ? ton carries all of that, and if you plan to USE the FW, then it must have the capacity to carry all of that.

Long Haul and Xrated and kbdgoat and Gary have been doing this a long time.  They know what they are talking about!

longhaul said:
  Still not true.....however your using the trucks payload sticker for carrying a load in the bed  and the rest of the real world uses axle rating to carry the load in the bed.

If your statement were true, then there wouldn't be a separate Payload/CCC sticker for the truck....all there would be is the RAWR and the FAWR.  And while we're at it, let's just eliminate the tire load rating too!

Each and every weight rating was put there for a purpose, and each and every manufacturer will clearly state in the owner's manual of the truck to never exceed ANY of the load capacity ratings listed for the truck!

xrated said:
If your statement were true, then there wouldn't be a separate Payload/CCC sticker for the truck....all there would be is the RAWR and the FAWR.  And while we're at it, let's just eliminate the tire load rating too!

Each and every weight rating was put there for a purpose, and each and every manufacturer will clearly state in the owner's manual of the truck to never exceed ANY of the load capacity ratings listed for the truck!
LOL... the vehicles FAWR/RAWR on the vehicles cert placard is the lessor of the vehicle mfg wheel/brakes/suspension and tire ratings. So we don't want to eliminate tire rating. They trump all.
Some of those high GVWR based placard payload numbers on the newer trucks have overloaded the trucks RAWR.
Anywayz ..... we do not agree on which weights are used to determine how much load a 3/4 ton truck can safely carry.    Out'a here.....

Gotta stick with the xrated preacher lol gord the preacher and xrated on this onei 100% . and a max trailer silverado wont come close.
I see 1/2 tons pulling fivers all the time saw 2 yesterday a nissan deisel with a payload of 1400Lbs pulling a grand design and a ford 150 pulling a fiver
however
A toy hauler has a much heavier pin wieght than a reg 5ver - my voltage pin wieght is almost 3000lbs on 12500 empty, and 3800 loaded at 15500

Wood said:
It can be towed by a 1/2, but only the ones within the ratings. 

The Tundra SR5 double cab V8, Silverado with the Max Trailing package will handle it just fine with payload to spare , and the F150 with the  heavy duty payload package is another truck.

A 3/4 isn't needed unless you just want one, but not needed.

Don't buy a vehicle based on 11,000 lbs, unless you plan on adding that extra weight, and go by the dry weight, weight the trailer for actual weight, but only add to your trailer what you can safely tow.

I'm wondering where you came up with the Payload for the Tundra.  I wanted to get another Tundra but he payloads on any I looked at were under 1500 pounds.  Went with a HD 150.

Most trucks can pull a lot more than they can carry. Most likely you will run out of tongue weight once you deduct family and gear weight.

Check your trucks cargo capacity and do the math.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom