Help needed with tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taylorm3

11 Chevy Suburban LTZ
275/55R20

Current tire Goodyear Eagle GT. P275/55R20.    Pulled the 30? TT great But I understand I need LT tires. 

Bought Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT275/55R20.  Couldn?t keep it in the road.  Kept causing a sway / waggle which in turn caused the TT to start swaying.  Almost caused several accidents. 

Tire store agreed to take them back, but it seems like the options are limited in the 275/55R20 size.  Tried to go up a size 285/60R20 to Michelin Defener LTX But they rub the fender liners.  Now they are recommending BF Goodrich 275/55R20 All Terrain KO2. But I?m worried they are ?mud Tires? like the Nitto?s.   

Anyone have experience with them?    Or is there a good tire like the Michelin out there that I could look into? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Something does not sound right.  The P rated tires have much "weaker" side walls than a LT tire.  The LT SHOULD be much more stable!  What air pressure were you running compared to the max rated pressure?  Sounds like an under inflation issue.

Yeah, extreme offroad thread patterns like the Nitto can act really squirrely on the highway, though I would not have thought they would be unusable.

I found a couple brands at Simple Tire (online order) but never heard of them.  An LT type with highway tread rather than All Terrain seems to be rare!
https://simpletire.com/delinte-lt275-55r20-841623109578-tires

Also some that are not LT but rated for light trucks and SUVs, e.g. the Continental CrossContact LX20 and the Hercules Terra Trak CrossV.

Frankly, if your original tires performed OK, I put them back on (or something close to them).  Just make sure the tire has an adequate load range (weight capacity) for the loaded weight of the axles.

Tirerack.com shows the Hankook Dynapro ATM in that size.  I've been running them on my truck and Jeeps for years.  They're rated as an all terrain, but they work really good on the road.  I used to pull a car hauler with my pickup(which was usually way heavier than it should have been)and never had a problem with them.

The BF Goodwrench at are a great tire. I have them on three vehicles right now. Quiet on road but decent traction off-road. I buy nothing else for the last 10yrs. They have a MT which is mud terrain. It is aggressive and more road noise. The AT pull good. I have a 2500 Dodge and pull trailers all the time.

BF Goodrich surely is an excellent tire brand and I've owned several sets of them, but that BF Goodrich 275/55R20 All Terrain KO2 model surely has an aggressive tread pattern. Take a look at it:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/10374

Ghostman: did you have this particular BFG tire or some other model? There are quite a few BFG tires with TA or All-Terrain in the name and several different tread patterns.  Only one in the size Taylorm3 wants, though.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
BF Goodrich surely is an excellent tire brand and I've owned several sets of them, but that BF Goodrich 275/55R20 All Terrain KO2 model surely has an aggressive tread pattern. Take a look at it:

Ghostman: did you have this particular BFG tire or some other model? There are quite a few BFG tires with TA or All-Terrain in the name and several different tread patterns.  Only one in the size Taylorm3 wants, though.

I always had the TA KO they switched a few years ago to the KO2  they are similar. The KO2 has a little more side tread. They both rode similar. They wear very well. Very good on wet roads and good traction if you need it off road. I run them on my Grand Cherokee also. It is set up for trails and we pull it behind motorhome. Good all around tire in my opinion. The TA KM I have had on a work truck. They are very aggressive and loud on road. I run the KO2 now. They have finally started to come out with more 20" sizes.

Good info Ghost,  But based on what a lot of ppl are telling me the Ko2 are going to be too aggressive a tread.    Need more of a street tire.    Any suggestions?    I?ve called several tire stores without any luck. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Thanks for the help Gary.      Looks like this tire is going to be tough to find,  I?ve got a call into 2 different tire stores waiting to hear back with their suggestions. 

Update:  due to the limited choices available I choose to pull the trigger on the BF G KO2.    So we?ll see how they  pull the camper the weekend. 

Ghostman said:
I think you will be glad you did.

What air pressure would you recommend that I run  (I?m running nitrogen in the tires). 

2011 Chevy suburban LTZ
2011 Rockwood 30 foot TT  Dry weight 5800      GVW 6895

What is the weight rating on the tires?  How much weight on the rear axle?

If the rear axle is carrying 75% of the rated tire capacity, I would run a MINIMUM of 85% of max rated pressure in the tires.

Try Cooper AT3 10 ply or Cooper Zeon LTZ i have used both on trucks and Suburbans will use them again np in fact im waiting for my current tires to die so i can use them again

Taylorm3 said:
What air pressure would you recommend that I run  (I?m running nitrogen in the tires). 

2011 Chevy suburban LTZ
2011 Rockwood 30 foot TT  Dry weight 5800      GVW 6895

To those not familiar with tire inflation pressures and tire industry standards it becomes complicated when changing from Passenger (P) tires to Light Truck (LT) tires. The tire info on your vehicle placards for inflation pressures will no longer fit the situation.

Basic industry standards require the replacement tires to be able to provide the load capacity the OE tires provided, via inflation. So, two tire inflation charts are needed, one for the ?P? tires and another for the ?LT tires. Your ?P? tires were derated by the vehicle manufacturer. When you find the load capacity your ?P? tires provided at the placard recommended cold inflation pressure you divide that by 1.1, that?s the official load capacity they were providing. Once you have that number, use the inflation chart for the ?LT? tires to determine the inflation pressure needed to match what was provided by the OE tires. That?s your new recommended cold inflation pressure. From that point to the PSI shown on the tire sidewall, inflation pressures are optional.

The reference below has the complete procedures and charts for both tire designs. Tire inflation charts are standardized by tire size and design, not brands, so the charts by sizes in the reference are valid.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

Page #11 in the reference is a prime example.

I run the Sailuns.  14 ply, all steel radial.  85R 16.

I bought them from LaBelle Tire in Labelle, FL.  They even came out and took the rims off my trailer, brought them to the shop, replaced the rubber and remounted them.  For free.

It was ~$700 total, for 4 tires.

The steel cased 16" LRG Sailun tires "Require special high load capacity wheels", says so in the reference provided below, twice.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/S637st.html

FastEagle said:
The steel cased 16" LRG Sailun tires "Require special high load capacity wheels", says so in the reference provided below, twice.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/S637st.html

I have 8-hole wheels.  I looked for markings on the wheels, and I did not see any.  The old wheels were 85 PSI, the new ones are a max 110 PSI.  I fill to ~100-105.
I would say most any 8-hole rim is probably 110 PSI rated.  i doubt an extra 25 lbs would blow up an 8-hole rim anyway.  It may blow out a valve stem.

If you have steel valve stems, you are ready to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom