Looking to buy Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upslady

We are looking to buy a new 2018 Class C. So far we have looked at a Conquest 25 ft. We've also looked at the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE and a 28Z, also a Jayco 26XD Redhawk. Out of these we really liked the Thor 29FE the best with it's options. I've read reviews that aren't kind to the Thor Freedom Elite series. Are there others out there we should consider? We are in a rural area so have to drive at least 100 miles to look at and then not a big selection. Have been looking online. Pro's and con's on any of the above and for sure the Thor 29FE?

Mostly just the 2 of us and an occasional camp out with the grandkids.
Thanks for any help and info.

It's very difficult to make recommendations, you really need to sit down and think how would you interact with the coach when you own it. I am a fan of the triple slide layout, but as many enjoy the rear bath model. Only you can make that determination.

I also buy my coaches new, when buying a used coach may make better financial sense. Many forum members endorse the "buy used" mantra. Not me, I like my stuff to be new and I am willing pay the price for what I want.

You might want to check and see of you can rent a similar model and check out the many options for RV living that you will have. Such as, where is the television in relation to the seating. Am i crooking my neck to watch TV? How is the kitchen arranged, microwave, etc., etc.

I have owned now three motor homes, a Class A, and two Class C's. I prefer the Class C too. I find it just a better platform to drive and operate.

Good luck on your adventure into the RV lifestyle.

The big question is will the floorplan work for you? When you are looking don't just walk through. Set down and imagin living in it. If there are slides can you get to everywhere you need to with the slides in. If you just pull into a rest area, can you get to the refrigerator the bathroom with the slides in?
Bill

You can try Coachman. They make three levels, Freelander, Leprechaun, and Concord. Concord being the highest grade, with Freelander being the least expensive.

Are there others out there we should consider?
Surely, but you haven't said much about your wants & needs except the example of the 29FE you mostly liked.  Hard to know what else might meet your needs and suit your fancy.  Have you looked at Winnebago/Itasca Class C'sFleetwood JamboreeForest River Forester and Sunseeker? Other Jayco models?

This is analogous to buying a house. You need to think about how much square footage in enough, bedrooms and baths,  kitchen facilities, storage inside & out,  etc. And since this is a furnished house, your comfort and convenience as well.

If you will use it extensively, especially for long trips (weeks or months), buying a better quality unit makes sense. For occasional use, a lower budget might suffice.

I'm not as experienced as most around this forum, but I have learned some lessons -enough to know that what these guys are saying is spot on.  Things like, suit your lifestyle, etc. but you could still get it wrong.

For example, we thought one of the dumbest things in RVing is that just about every RV we looked at (within our budget) had the television at a right angle from the sofa/theater seating!  Dumb!  Unless you think everyone wants a crick in their neck!  That was a big deal to us so we looked and looked and found one we liked with the seating directly across from the TV.  Well, guess what?  Turns out we don't watch TV when we're camping!  Ever!  I'd of rather had an outdoor kitchen.  We may watch a movie on the rare occasion the weather is too nasty to sit outside but still we mostly play games, cards, etc.  So, think about stuff like that.

WildeBill made a great point about being able to get to the head and kitchen, etc. with the slide(s) in.  That was a must for us when we bought our new one.  You can save lots of time (and money) when you're able to just pull into a roadside and sit down to a meal right from your own kitchen without even having to let out a slide.  We always had trouble getting lunch on the road pulling the 5er and the fact we always have our not-so-friendly-and-not-meant-to-be dog with us made it more difficult.  Now, easy peasy getting lunch in the coach -we did that on the trip home from the dealership and it was such a relief!

Like John, I prefer to buy new.  But, from my experience, your first RV is rarely your last.  Neither is your second, third, . . .  :~)  But seriously, something else you have to think about and decide.

Finally, we also read some terrible things about Thor -I'm not saying we know it first hand or have any personal experience with Thor, I'm just saying what we read on line over and over.  So, we steered clear of Thor.

Good luck with your hunt.  That's part of the fun!

I currently own a 28z and it has served us well.  DW wishes it had more clothing space and the 29fe definitely gives you that.  If we had it to do over we would go with the 29fe for that reason.  We, like previously mentioned don't watch much TV at all so to us irrelevant.  However, to each his own and as others mentioned you need to imagine you living in it.  Good luck.

I understand the inconvenience of expanding your search radius but you are severely limiting your choices by visiting only one or even just a couple dealers. Additionally, if the dealer(s) get any sense that it would be really inconvenient for you to buy anywhere but from them, negotiations will not be in your favor. This is a big decision and a big, expensive purchase; take the time to do it right and get what you really want, not what the closest dealer happens to carry. A few long days or even hotel rooms will be insignificant compared to the purchase you?re about to make.

Buying a new Class C is a significant investment.  I agree with others that you need to visit more than one dealer and see how you folks feel when inside the unit.  It will also help you compare prices and deals. Take your time.

You can always impulse buy and see how it goes. Lots of people take this approach.

Is a new class C a fairly sizable investment for you?  How many weeks a year are you going to use it?  How do you want to use it?  Are you going to tow with it?  If you don?t know the answers to these questions you may want to consider a used unit first. 

If it is a small expense for you then go for new and have a blast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom