Keeping refrigerator vented during storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

I keep my refrigerator opened just a crack so the inside breathes and it prevents the inside from getting mold and mildew. But there is a sweet spot where it sits without coming all the way open. Sometimes, when I step inside, it may close without my knowing.

How do you guys keep your refrigerator cracked without it closing all the way? I was thinking about installing a strap that I can tighten with a shim between the door and the frame, but I wanted to see if there was something a little less ugly.

My last RV, the fridge had a latch mechanism between the 2 handles. With the doors just open 1" or less, you would slide the piece similar to a deadbolt into the door jamb.  I can't remember the brand fridge. The RV before that, there was a plastic piece which I'd have to attach to the door which would keep it partially open.
What brand and model do you have?

I now have a residential fridge now and I had to make a latch to hold the doors shut while traveling. I have the same latch mechanism except a little longer to hold the doors open just a bit. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Attachments

• DSCN0253.JPG
    DSCN0253.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0254.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0252.JPG
    DSCN0252.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 11
A bungee cord between the shelf in the freezer and a shelf in the fridge. Low tech and foolproof.

There are a variety of product like this:

https://www.campingworld.com/no-mold-refrigerator-door-holder

I've used one of these for several years.

Its an older Norcold. (1990-1991) I am not sure of the model. It has a single door with a drop down flap for the freezer inside. I don't have anything to latch or hook onto as is. I have a pin to keep it closed down the road, but nothing to hold it ajar. Maybe I should make a latch similar to Rene's that I can just drop in the holes.  I think its a 1/4 inch and I can get brass rod from Menards so it doesn't rust. Just heat and bend.

Do you have a chair or something else large that can prop it open?  Ours usually stay open but sometimes I move a dinette chair over.  It's in storage and no one is in it anyway, so it's not in the way.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom