Freightliner Front hub caps will not stay on.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe V

I have a 2011 Damon Tuscany 42FK (Class A) on a Freightliner Chassis. I seem to lose a front hub cap (Right side) about once a year. The hub cap somehow works loose until it falls off. Is there some type of adhesive I could use to help keep it on, maybe some type silicone. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've heard similar complaints a few times and suspect that perhaps there are a few wheels out there that are not quite perfect.  A dab or two of a silicone sealant, e.g. the ones sold for aquarium glass repairs, might help keep it in place. Don't seal it up too good, though. It has to come off in the future!

I've also seen that there is a technique to getting those on properly. Here is a "how to" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpay3h0EVic

John Beard said:
What does the shop towel do?

Absorbs the fine atomized oil spray emitted through vent hole in the oil hub cap. Hub has to be vented or it would push oil past seal as it warmed up. We always ran a rag in the shiny hub cap to stop oil streaks on wheel. Just enough oil to catch dust and streak wheel.  Right side is usually the worst because slope of road puts oil level closer to vent hole. Oil spray ( think minuscule) can lubricant the clips that hold on hub cap. Hub cap will move a little on wheel, pot holes and such, add a lubricant and eventually off it comes.
  Oil loss is minimal. Usually never have to add any. Might lose a tablespoon in 100,000 miles ,unless it?s overfilled, then there will be  more loss.

jubileee said:
  Absorbs the fine atomized oil spray emitted through vent hole in the oil hub cap. Hub has to be vented or it would push oil past seal as it warmed up. We always ran a rag in the shiny hub cap to stop oil streaks on wheel. Just enough oil to catch dust and streak wheel.  Right side is usually the worst because slope of road puts oil level closer to vent hole. Oil spray ( think minuscule) can lubricant the clips that hold on hub cap. Hub cap will move a little on wheel, pot holes and such, add a lubricant and eventually off it comes.
  Oil loss is minimal. Usually never have to add any. Might lose a tablespoon in 100,000 miles ,unless it?s overfilled, then there will be  more loss.

Thank you for the explanation.

Are you sure you're not supposed to have two lightweight metal nuts that hold the hub cap on. Look for two exposed bolts that project through the cap.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom