It?s Electric! Or is it unsafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkircher

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Our Starcraft Satellite is now a year old and we have certainly learned a lot! Take a look at the attached picture. It?s a metal junction box, plus in-line fuse (for the leveler, I believe) and a shortstop (for the slide, I believe). All of this is on the tongue and completely exposed to the elements. This seems colossally unsafe to me. Am I just paranoid, or should I replace the j-box with an exterior PVC box and get that fuse and shortstop covered as well?  Thanks for any advice!
Bob

Attachments

• 726F47A3-10CB-4772-B558-612D0D6C8832.jpeg
    726F47A3-10CB-4772-B558-612D0D6C8832.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 91
The metal box is useless for weather protection, it looks like a common 4" square work box made for inside or dry areas.  The other part is an auto resetting breaker with about as much protection as you will see on any of them.  The Good news is that they are both 12 volt DC and nothing 120 volt AC is on the tongue of the trailer.  You could put a waterproof box in its place if it makes you feel better, but personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'd be tempted to replace it with something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/MICTUNING-7-Way-Trailer-Wiring-Junction/dp/B01LZ79I7A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528825395&sr=8-3&keywords=trailer+junction+box

Since I have been working on boats for longer than I care to admit, I would replace it with a PVC outdoor box. However, it really depends on where you store the unit. If it is under cover I would seal the top with Eternabond and go with it until you have to do something. There are a lot of trailers running around with that setup. One other thing I would do is spray all the connections with Boeshield T-9. This spray works great to prevent corrosion. I use it for all connections and inside of lights, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom