Hot water heater 1988 Itasca Sundancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themoons

New to these boards and my spouse and I are goofballs when it comes to figuring out our used RV we recently purchased.  Dont have all the how to manuals etc...Cant figure out if we have a manual light hot water heater or self lighting (if that exists) and how this is done.  My hubby is handy but we are scratching our large round heads over some simple stuff like this hot water heater.  Also the stove hood had 2 buttons for hot water tank so does that mean we have 2 or does H.T. 1 and H.T. 2 mean something else.  My hubby already repaired the brakes, the rough idle and did some electrical work to get all the running lights working so he is good at fixing stuff but not even knowing how to turn something on or where its located is frustrating.  Thanks for any help you can give. 

The makes and models of you appliances in question would be valuable in us giving you advise. The manuals themselves can, for the most part, be found on line by a search for 'manuals Dometic model xxx' (example). Knowing the makes and models will also help us avoid giving information that may not apply in your case. I also suggest you visit your profile (menu on top) and enter the year make and model of your trailer/RV to save us asking for it where appropriate (see my signature block for an example)

Cant figure out if we have a manual light hot water heater or self lighting (if that exists)

Both types exist  and the make and model will tell us what you have. The HT1/2 are likely switches for heat by propane or heat by electric (120V). You will have only one HWH. Where is it?? Look outside for a removable panel with a screen in one corner or, it could be under a kitchen cabinet along the wall.

There are "self-lighting" (aka DSI) water heaters, but odds are a 1980's model has a pilot light.  A brand & model number or a picture of the heater would probably tell us for sure. pen the outside access door for the heater and try to find a make & model (which will also let you get an owner manual). If not visible, snap a photo and post here.

Please read through the Winnebago and Chassis Resource thread at the top of this board for lots of good info and tips. Also lots of good info in the forum Library. Look for that link further up the page.

Here's a link to Winnie operator's manuals.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
There are "self-lighting" (aka DSI) water heaters, but odds are a 1980's model has a pilot light.
  Well we found out that it was self lighting BUT the ding dong hot water tank has a LEAK!! bummer.  Oh well on to fixing the propane frig next.  Thanks for your help :) :)

edit by staff - fixed quote block

John Canfield said:
Please read through the Winnebago and Chassis Resource thread at the top of this board for lots of good info and tips. Also lots of good info in the forum Library. Look for that link further up the page.

[Thanks!~!!!!!!!

Alfa38User said:
The makes and models of you appliances in question would be valuable in us giving you advise. The manuals themselves can, for the most part, be found on line by a search for 'manuals Dometic model xxx' (example). Knowing the makes and models will also help us avoid giving information that may not apply in your case. I also suggest you visit your profile (menu on top) and enter the year make and model of your trailer/RV to save us asking for it where appropriate (see my signature block for an example)
We found out that it is self lighting but the hot water tank is KAPUT!  So hubby is going to either replace the hot water tank or look into a tankless system.
Thanks for your help!!! :D :D :D

themoons said:
  Well we found out that it was self lighting BUT the ding dong hot water tank has a LEAK!! bummer.  Oh well on to fixing the propane frig next.  Thanks for your help :) :)

Don't think it's automatic that the tank needs to be replaced. Find the source of the leak and go from there. If it's a damaged tank, it may be able to be welded. It may be something simple like a drain plug leaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom