RV Tire Extenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talia910

I hear different things about the use of valve stem extender's.  Can anyone tell me if they are not good to use or install on your tires.  I hear they cause tires to leak.  They are not good to have on your tires, etc.  Is anyone having any problems in this area.  I have a class A 35'.  Thanks for any feedback...

I use valve stem extenders, without any problems. I make sure they are squarely attached each time I check tire pressure, which is every time I move the coach.

Thank you John, I was told by a tire dealer here in town that they are useless to have.  I disagree, anything to make life a bit easier when checking tire pressure is the way I want to go.  I sure don't want to have to go under the coach to reach the inner tire every time to check.

I too have used valve extenders and have not have the issues others are posting, I also have TPMS on a valve extender.
Mine have always been tight and I make sure I have a bracket for support for the valve extenders.
There is a difference in the type and brand of valve extenders . I have a class a and use them with no issues. I hope I didn't jinx myself.

I can add just more confusion to the question.  I have valve extenders and a TPMS on my 34' motorhome.  I have use the extenders for the entire 7 years I've owned the coach, with no issues.  However, I did have a couple of sensors on my TPMS start leaking, but I replaced them.  I am just getting ready to contemplate new tires.  Mine are 7 years old.  When I met with my tire guy, whom I trust implicitly, he said "when we replace the tires we will put in long stems to get rid of the extenders.  You really don't want to use extenders, they leak all the time."  So I got the same answer from my tire guy, yet my experience (and others who have posted here), seems to be the opposite.  I'm interested to see if anyone chimes in with stories of leaking extenders?

Steve

Valve extensions get a lot of bad press, but they work fine if properly installed and secured.  Truckers use solid metal extensions extensively.

Are you talking about solid metal extensions or the longer flexible ones? Quality flex extensions work ok, but they do need to be fastened securely so they don't break loose and flop around. And any extension needs to be tightly screwed to the primary valve stem. A leak is a leak, after all.

I did the reverse - got extenders for my air pressure gauge and chuck.  Works beautifully.  I hated the extenders.  Metal valve stems are a must of course.

In the past year I have had a lifetimes worth of valve extender problems. First, after being parked for several months I found a front tire low. Called Coachnet and it turned out a valve extender had a very slow leak. Removed and aired up the tire (embarrassed,  but no damage).

Rechecked all the tire pressures and proceeded. Stopped at Flying J for the night. Next AM noticed rr tire looked low. Fortunately there was a Goodyear tire store on site. Pulled in and had it checked - bad leak through a valve extender on a tire that was fine the morning before (tire had held 90 PSI for months). Run flat and ruined the tire.

Having spent another few months parked, I noticed the other dual looked low. Removed the valve extender (ok I'm a slow learner) and aired up the tire. It has held fine now for weeks. I'm debating calling Coachnet again to pull the tires and inspect.

Ernie

Note: These were new tires the fall before and bead balanced. It is possible, though unlikely, that the cores were bad (they were metal stems and not replaced).

Willandgiselarv said:
I too have used valve extenders and have not have the issues others are posting, I also have TPMS on a valve extender.
Mine have always been tight and I make sure I have a bracket for support for the valve extenders.
There is a difference in the type and brand of valve extenders . I have a class a and use them with no issues. I hope I didn't jinx myself.
:))

I have the flexible braided extenders on my rear inside tires. I was told they leak and I should pay to get the solid extenders. I was told by a tire guy that the only reason the good ones leak is because with road vibrations, the extenders will eventually come loose on the tire valves and must be retightened. So every time I check the tires before a trip, I climb underneath and make sure they are tight. Because of that, I have never had a leak or problem with them so far. I use TPMS sensors on them and continually check the pressure and temperature while on the road.

I've been using steel braided extenders for 16 years with out a failure. It's all about proper installation.

When I bought TPMS I had a commercial tire shop install extenders.  They recommended Air Flexx that was semirigid, but not metal which they told me that commercial trucks are now using.  I had issues with one tire that leaked at first.  It took 2 trips back to the shop that installed it until they got it right and now it had not leaked one bit over the past year.

https://www.myerstiresupply.com/about-us/Brands/air-flexx

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom