Towing Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujman

I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Tundra and I am looking for something that won't work as hard in the Virginia Mountains.  I have been looking at the 2018 Ram vs the 2018Tundra. The Ram has a substantially higher tow capacity and payload.  Both the Ram and the Tundra have 381 hp and 401 lb.ft of torque, at basically the same rpm's.  An automotive engineer has told me that the higher tow capacity and payload of the Ram is only because it has a stronger frame.  My thinking then is that I won't feel any difference in towing between the Ram and the Tundra.  Am I missing something here?

I'm no expert, but in my estimation the stiffer/beefier frame would tend to twist less giving a better driving experience.

I suspect that engineer was right, but if your concern is "won't work as hard", it may or may not mean anything.  Towing needs horsepower and gearing to deliver that Hp without revving the engine high to achieve it.  If you could provide facts and figures on the two trucks and the trailer it will have to tow, maybe we could provide some more useful advice.

Tundras come with two different engines and a variety of other options; Rams have even more. Simply saying Tundra or Ram 1500 doesn't mean a whole lot.

Compare the transmissions.  The 8 speed in the Ram is used by a number of manufacturers.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, the engineer is probably right, but all things are never equal.  Gary mentioned a few of the unequal items.  You indicated essentially identical motors.  How do transmissions and rear ends compare?  The Ram's heavier frame will improve the overall towing experience. 

Payloads are all over the map for any given brand, based on body style, drive train, trim level and towing options.  Make sure whatever truck you choose has sufficient Payload for YOUR needs.  Look at the yellow placard on the driver door latch pillar of the truck you like.  That is the Payload for THAT truck as it left the factory.

I see in the original post that both trucks have similar Hp & torque.  The Ram may have a sturdier frame, but the Tundra is also a full size, half ton truck so the difference shouldn't be huge.  Both trucks can have a fairly broad range of payloads and tow capacity also varies with the configuration and trim level.

At the end of the day, it only matters that the specs are adequate for the task.  If the trailer is pushing the Tundra almost to its max but well within the Ram capability, then it makes a difference. But if both trucks have ample capacity for towing that trailer, choose the truck you like the best. Or that your wife likes the best!  ;)

Thanks to all who responded to my question on towing capacity between the ram 2500 and the Tundra.  Both trucks have 5.7l engines.  Final drive in the both trucks is 4.1
Sounds like I just pick one or if I really want to see a difference move to the 6.4l Ram with 410hp and 4.29 lb ft of torque.  Probably would not not gain anything because I would have to install a 50 gal auxiliary tank to make it between stations

cujman said:
I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Tundra and I am looking for something that won't work as hard in the Virginia Mountains.  I have been looking at the 2018 Ram vs the 2018Tundra. The Ram has a substantially higher tow capacity and payload.  Both the Ram and the Tundra have 381 hp and 401 lb.ft of torque, at basically the same rpm's.  An automotive engineer has told me that the higher tow capacity and payload of the Ram is only because it has a stronger frame.  My thinking then is that I won't feel any difference in towing between the Ram and the Tundra.  Am I missing something here?

I have driven both Ram 1500 and Tundra 5.7
the Ram will work just as hard as the Tundra in the hills..

I would suggest moving up to a 250 or 2500 class 3/4 ton

I used to tow regularly with the Tundra @7000 lb's and it was comfortable.
when I moved up to a 9000lb TT  I knew the Tundra would struggle so I traded in for a Ram 2500 CTD.
now I have effortless towing and MPG in the 12-14 range..

thanks I appreciate your help.  It would really help if I could hook up the trailer and test drive it on some hills but dealers don't seem to be open to that.

OBX said:
Compare the transmissions.  The 8 speed in the Ram is used by a number of manufacturers.

yep GM included

No two trucks are equal - they may start that way, but as they are built different options reduce payload and towing ability. Look at the yellow decal drivers side  b piller . Go ahead look it wont bite lol, when at the dealership look at 2 trucks the same , ie Ram 1500 that decal will have totally different numbers

Having towed with both I will never buy a half ton truck to tow over 5000 pounds again. The extra capacity of a 3/4 ton makes a huge difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom