is 120k miles a lot on an Allison 3000 transmission ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

sightseers

I'm looking at a 2002 Monaco Diplomat with 120k miles and no real service history on it.  I'm not so worried about the 300 hp Cummings engine, but is this rig going to need a trans rebuild soon ?

What does a trans rebuild cost ?

The Allison 3000 series is a really rugged transmission, so I would not worry too much about it. Probably due for a tranny fluid & filter change, though, and use a synthetic fluid (Allison TES-295 spec) when you do it.

While the Cummins ISC base engine is also a long-lived one, be aware that the vaunted diesel reliability is about the engine block and pistons. Other engine components last about the same as any other engine type.  Things like the water pump, alternator, injector pump, radiator, etc. have a typical life of 100k-125k miles, so you may encounter failures if those things haven't already been replaced.

Go to Blackstone Labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and order 2 fluid sample kits (free) and take an engine and transmission sample and sent it to them for analysis. I think the cost is $20-$30 per sample. They also have a pump for about $30 which pulls the fluid out the dip tube w/o getting the fluid inside the pump mechanism so it is easy to clean.  This may take 2-3 weeks if you started today. 

When I ordered my kit it only took 3-4 days for the kit to arrive.

If the samples come back clean you should have a good engine transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom