12 VOLT OR 6 VOLT CHARGER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coachmen2

I am about to change to 2 -6v Trojan Golf Cart T105s, replacing the 2 - 12 volt Marine from Sams.  Do I need a 6 v or 12 v charger. 
Thanks

Your coach works on 12 V...  the two six volt batteries are connected in series to produce 12 V.  You need a 12V charger.  In order to use a 6V charger, you would have to  disconnect the batteries and rewire them for charging, and then restore the original connections for use.
Art

I've typed this stuff so many times... I finally saved a copy so I don't have to re-type it all the time.  This is not 100% to the question but does answer it.  And the answer is:

In the RV world there are not six volt batteries

There are only 12 volt batteries

Some come in one piece, some in two pieces but they are all 12 volt batteries

How can I say this?  Simple  There are no 12 volt batteries either, there are only 2 volt batteries

A Six volt golf cart battery is really 3 2 volt batteries in series  A 12 volt is six of them

If you take two six volt Golf cart batteries and hook the POSITIVE of just one to the NEGATIVE of the other. You have a 12 volt  battery. it's that simple, Think of this pair as one battery, treat it as one battery with only two exceptions and all your questions are answered.

The two exceptions: Cleaning (Clean all 4 posts, not just the two at the ends)  Lifting (When you lift them you first disconnect them, THEN you have 2 six volt batteries)

Now: This brings the quesiton "Why do folks say 2 six volt are better?"  Tradition of course.

Not all that long ago you had your choice of 3 classes of batteries

Starting (Could be found in six volt, or 12 volt)

Marine/Deep cycle (I'm not sure if they came in six but they sure come in 12)

And TRUE DEEP CYCLE, which came in Golf Cart and Fork lift sizes.  Golf cart are six volt and can be lifted by a healthy person, Fork LIfts are normally 12 volt by over 1,000 pounds and can be lifted by another fork lift.

Today, you can get True Deep Cycle in different sizes from small enough to fit in your pocket to large enough that you need a fairly LARGE forklift, but it will run your car 300 miles between charges.

You can also get a lot of different chemistries  Flooded wet (Golf cart are usually),  Maintenance free, AGM, GEL and more

But there are still the 3 main classes    Here is the chart

Starting                              Marine/Deep Cycle          True deep cycle

Lots of Cranking amps                                              Lots of Amp Hours
Not so many Amp Hours                                            Not a lot of Cranking Amps

You will notice that the Marine type is not a lot of anything

Back
Top Bottom