Charging an electric car at rv site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxwatch

I?m new here and not trying to create discord but this could easily go that way.
I have a 5th wheel parked at a site and it?s not moving for 3 more years. We live in it 5 months straight every summer.
50 amp service to an SAEJ1772 outlet. Standard plug like a stove plug which is comparable with the car charger.

I can plug the electric car into the outlet for charging overnight. Disconnect the rv and run on battery till morning. Car is charged in the morning and rv is plugged back in for the day.

Seems easy but am I missing something? Of course I?ll check with the park owners to be sure they are ok with it. I pay the metered electric usage costs.

The 50amp circuit should be 240volt not 120 volt. Which is what the car charger needs.
Should there be an intermediate breaker between the outlet and the car charger?

So far my theory says it should work. But I am also thinking I am missing something. I just don?t
know what. Long term plan will to trailer the electric car and use it for running around. The chargers are portable so there is convenience. Lots of charging stations in certain parts of North America but certainly not all yet.

For anyone worried about electric cars, I have a gas vehicle also and never am at a loss for transportation.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
B

If it were me, I think I might be inclined to look into adding an outlet to the side of the trailer.  If you're only using lights or whatever you could off battery through the night, then your trailer isn't using the available electrons, so letting them pass through to the car wouldn't hurt anything.  that way I wouldn't have to mess with the likely already worn out park outlet as much....  just seems like it might be more convenient...

If you have enough battery. Full propane tanks and do not use Air Conditioning I see no problems.

A/C needs shore power. so does the water heater. and the FRIDGE if running on AC (RV types) .

But if you can get by with just fan's over night ... done that many times.

Thanks all for the help. I?ll go for it. It seemed straight forward but that made me wonder, nothing is ever that easy. The electrical service is new 50amp as it was installed as an addition to the park installed a few days before I set up my site. Plug is only connected in spring and disconnected in the fall. Pretty new after 4 years.
I?ll bring more questions here as I need help. Anyone want to crawl under the rig to help change a valve on the black tank? My wife and ungrateful teenagers seem less than willing to assist.  :)

Back
Top Bottom