2006 Coleman Mach to Smart WiFi T-stat Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N2Kiss

Hi all. I thought I?d post this question again in hopes that in maybe there have been some tech advances the past several years.

We have a Coleman Mach thermostat in our 2006 Keystone Hornet (one roof top ceiling-vented AC and one propane floor-vent furnace).  The rig is parked full time at our weekend property with constant WiFi access.  I want to replace the t-stat with a WiFi smart t-stat, mostly so that I can start up the AC when we are on our way.  I have discovered that the Hi-Lo fan functionality will likely be lost without further modifications; losing that function is not a problem.  My AC tech will be 3 hours away, and is not necessarily that familiar with RV?s. He?s asked me to send him some links re: the replacement. What I?m hoping to find is some concise info and any comments or tips from people who have tried this particular mod: an older Coleman to a smart WiFi t-stat.  I?d be interested to hear advice regarding your success or failure.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I did find John?s thread about the EcoBee, but his heat system was for sure much fancier than ours, so I wasn?t sure how well his info would apply. And I would love to hear an update on how well that EcoBee is working out. Thanks in advance!

Welcome...

You did find the thread by John and it is likely the only one here on that subject, that I can remember!! His web site has the whole story.

Much depends on the make/model of thermostat chosen. Some of the smart models require a C (common) wire, which Rvs usually do not have.  Also, residential t-stats are designed for 24v operation, but many of them work fine on 12v.

If you just want to turn the a/c on/off, you could use a smart switch instead. Wire it inline with the a/c 120v power and use the switch to turn it off when you leave, and back on again for your return.

Wouldn't you have to be connected to the same wifi network to turn it on/off? If so, chances are you won't be able to connect to the campsite wifi from more than a mile away.

I can turn my wifi remote switches on/off via its cell phone app.  Ditto for my Honeywell 9000 wifi thermostat, which connects to a Honeywell server that keeps status, backs up the t-stat, and notifies me of outages and what not.  I can interact via cell phone app or website.  I  don't know if all brands of wifi thermostats offer that level of features, though. Or all wifi switches either.

Gary is right. We have quite a few WiFi switches back at home, as well as two smart WiFi thermostats and a smart garage door; I can log in from anywhere via an app on my phone and turn them on or off, check their status, etc as long as our WiFi internet connection at home is on.  I?m amazed (and disappointed) that someone hasn?t come up with a Smart RV replacement thermostat yet.  Million dollar idea guaranteed to sell itself to any southern RV owner with an internet connection who dreams of walking in to a cool RV during our 9 months of summer . . .

Dauninge said:
Wouldn't you have to be connected to the same wifi network to turn it on/off? If so, chances are you won't be able to connect to the campsite wifi from more than a mile away.

I think in many of the cases described as "WiFi", access to the switches must be via an internet connection through an active router home network that the 'smart switches' are connected to by their own local WiFi connection. Any properly protected means to connect into that home network from the outside world would not be subjected to the mileage restriction of pure WiFi you mentioned. (IE it's simply a terminology thing... incorrect or mixed use of the term "WiFi" although part of the connection is undoubtedly using WiFi frequencies).

Back
Top Bottom