Ok to drive with propane fridge on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okjello

This maybe a silly question, I have a Dometic S1621 Fridge seems to only be working on propane. My question is can i drive with it running on propane? Will it stay running on hwy?

Thanks
Mark

I did it with my Casita and it always stayed on.  BUT, there may be lots of people tell you it is irresponsible and unsafe -at least that is what I got when I told people I did it.

we do it all the time, and did with the fridge in our little popup too.

I suggest visiting the site arprv.com
not so much to read the sales pitch or to buy necessarily, but to better understand these fridges.  he has tons of info posted there
I can't speak first hand to confirm any knowledge about the problems of which this product touts to be a solution.... and can in no way prove that the product works.... but to me, it all does seem plausible, and seems to be a well researched product...and I am a happy customer.

Still, my bigger point is to educate yourself about the fridge and how it works.

Man, where were you guys when I was taking a beat down over doing it?  LOL

Some people fear having propane on while driving, i.e. in case of accident.  Nothing others can say or do will rid them of their worry.

I will say this: No state fire marshall prohibits it, nor does any federal safety regulation, nor any state or federal DOT regulation. They leave it up to the individual to decide.

I use to have mine on all the time while traveling. Just keep in mind that some tunnels don't allow you to have the propane tanks open while in the tunnels so you'd need to pull off and shut them off.

Other members have addressed the driving part.  This refers to fueling.  Not sure what RV you have but something else good to remember is turn the fridge off when refueling your vehicle/motorhome and then turn back on when leaving the fuel station.  That way no open flame until you leave the area.  We use a tag out on the steering wheel to remind us to turn it back on. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I will say this: No state fire marshall prohibits it, nor does any federal safety regulation, nor any state or federal DOT regulation. They leave it up to the individual to decide.

Ahh, if only the government were that way about more things . . .

Ok, the "Danger" is if the flame blows out.
DSI fridges will attempt to restart and if they fail (3 times) FAULT MODE is activated. Turning them off.

NON DSI will simply shut off. Leaving only pilot level burner lit. a very very tiny gas flow. NOTE. I've never seen a NON DSI fridge. 

Thanks, everyone for the great replies.
I was away for a few days so did get to reply until now. I ended up having issues with the refrigerator sadly. I was to chicken to try it on the hwy but I will next time!

Anyone know where I can get parts for a Dometic  s1621 ? I needed an element for the 120 anyway but it was working fine on propane so I was ok with that but now it is having problems staying lit. I think rust from the metal tubes above the burner is falling into the burner. Anyone know proper name for the tubes above the burner.

Thanks again everyone this is a great forum.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0070 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0070 (Medium).JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0067 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0067 (Medium).JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 29
One great source for Dometic parts is The Dometic Guy.    See http://www.thedometicguy.com.  I've found them to be helpful if you contact them about hard to find stuff.  [He also operates as The Norcold Guy, with lots of parts & expertise for them as well.]

Heater elements are typically identified by part number rather than the model of the fridge (they are usually common to many models), so try to figure yours out.

Here's a page full of possibilities:
http://www.thedometicguy.com/heating-element/

This Dometic Service Manual covers the S1621 and might help figure out what you have and also to diagnose the problems.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/domser.pdf

I drive with it on. In Washington state, if you take one of the ferry routes they make  you turn it off and give you a tag to place on the tank indicating that you have turned it off.

If there was a problem, the rigs would be design to prevent gas flow to fridge to be cut off as liability on a manuf would be huge. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom