Dump valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jiml100

Cable broke on dump valve, anyone know what size allen head the set screws are on the valve to connect cable ?  Thanks for any info

Jiml100 said:
Cable broke on dump valve, anyone know what size allen head the set screws are on the valve to connect cable ?  Thanks for any info

I just removed one. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Update: I just went outside and checked the valve. Mine used a 1/8" allen wrench. (Valterra)
I removed both of my valves and replaced the cable operated valves to a direct shaft operated valves. I hated the cable operated valves. Always had trouble with them not closing.

Rene T said:
I just removed one. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Update: I just went outside and checked the valve. Mine used a 1/8" allen wrench. (Valterra)
I removed both of my valves and replaced the cable operated valves to a direct shaft operated valves. I hated the cable operated valves. Always had trouble with them not closing.
My valve did the same, sometimes it didn't close all the way. So installed the Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve where i hook up the waste hose. Works really well.  :))

mtoy1204 said:
My valve did the same, sometimes it didn't close all the way. So installed the Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve where i hook up the waste hose. Works really well.  :))

I also have the twist on valve at my discharge pipe. It serves two purposes. It allows me to transfer water from my gray tank to my black tank. Also it is a backup valve in case one of my main valves are leaking a little. No  more surprises when I remove the end cap.

Rene, I like that idea.  Can you explain how that works and is there any chance the content of the black tank will find it's way into the gray tank.

My black tank valve is sticking pretty badly.  I'm concerned it's going to fail. 

Yes it is possible to to get back into gray. You are basically equalizing the tanks when both valves are opened. Unless you have the secondary valve as Renee mentioned you will have fluid behind your cap that was left in pipes after closing the black and gray valve.

Don't know what coach the OP has or what size valve, but just fyi, here are some links to replacement parts for the 1.5" cable-operated fresh water dump valve used on my 2005 Vectra:

Valterra T1001-9VP Bladex 1-1/2" Valve Seal with Hardware, (Set of 2)

Valterra T1001PBC 1-1/2" Valve Body

Valterra TC96PB 96" Cable with Valve Handle

garyb1st said:
Rene, I like that idea.  Can you explain how that works and is there any chance the content of the black tank will find it's way into the gray tank.

My black tank valve is sticking pretty badly.  I'm concerned it's going to fail.

All my tanks drain piping come together at the sewer outlet. If you install a valve right at the outlet, and you open all the drains, the level of fluid will drain from the fullest to the one with less fluid. Who cares if some of the black stuff goes into a gray tank. It all ends up at the same place.  I usually open the gray tank first then the black tank so it will minimize black stuff reaching the gray tank. 
Also when it becomes time to dump  my black tank, I usually start out with a full gray tank. Then once the black empties, I then shut the add on valve then open the gray tank. This puts about 25 gallons of water in the black tank and I'm then able to do another dump of the black tank. Then what ever is left in the gray tank, I use that to flush out the sewer hose.

cbeierl said:
Don't know what coach the OP has or what size valve, but just fyi, here are some links to replacement parts for the 1.5" cable-operated fresh water dump valve used on my 2005 Vectra:

Fixing links (hopefully):

Rene T said:
All my tanks drain piping come together at the sewer outlet. If you install a valve right at the outlet, and you open all the drains, the level of fluid will drain from the fullest to the one with less fluid. Who cares if some of the black stuff goes into a gray tank. It all ends up at the same place.  I usually open the gray tank first then the black tank so it will minimize black stuff reaching the gray tank. 
Also when it becomes time to dump  my black tank, I usually start out with a full gray tank. Then once the black empties, I then shut the add on valve then open the gray tank. This puts about 25 gallons of water in the black tank and I'm then able to do another dump of the black tank. Then what ever is left in the gray tank, I use that to flush out the sewer hose.

I must be a simpleton.  I just pull the black lever and then the grey lever.  Call it a day. ;). I like things simple unless they can be simpler.

Back
Top Bottom