Welding a class 4 adapter into a class 5 hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawbob

I'm getting tired of the slop in my Silverado 2500 hitch.
Is it common practice just to weld the adapter into the hitch?
I know they make shims and other things to tighten them up, but looking for easy and cheap solution.

TIA Bob

I thought shims WERE the easy & cheap solution, but I'm not a welder.  Plus, the shims are easily removable when you get that new trailer and need a Class V hitch.

I cannot speak to welding but would personally not do it.  This system is great.  I use 2 as I have a hi/lo adapter to.  Zero movement or noise.  StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches.  Approx $17 on Amazon

Attachments

• Hitch stabilizer.jpg
    Hitch stabilizer.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 10
If you have a 4? piece of angle iron at least 3/36? thick and a drill, you can go to the hardwares store, buy a u-bolt, and make your own for a couple bucks.

Thanks for the replies.
I have a welder, so I thought just running a bead up each side would do the trick, and be most cost effective for me.
The only downside would be if I wanted to move up to a class 5, which I don't plan on doing, and if I do, well I have a torch too!
I was just wondering if anyone else on here had done it.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, I welded steel washers to my hitch to take up the slop on it. That way I haven't harmed the the receptacle or the slide. I can easily grind the washers off and be back where I started. It wasnt a class 4 to 5 just a sloppy fit from a horrible freight hitch.

Back
Top Bottom