ZED F Lube For Life ????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchEagle

In 2016 I attended the Freightliner class at the GNR, when I was reviewing my notes I came across a maintenance item (33-02) that said: Tie-Rod end lubricating and Inspection. Next to it was the remark from the instructor; ZED F Lube for life.

I do not remember what that was about, anyone knows what that means?

The ZF brand of IFS (independent front suspension) has sealed wheel bearings and needs no lubing ever. Well, until they fail, eventually.  I put 79k  miles on mine over 12 years without any sign of a problem.

As an FYI, only the 2004 and up Vectra/Horizon (S Body) had IFS. The Journey/Ellipse were moved up to take the place of the discontinued Vectra/Horizon and they were the usual straight axle front end. I believe Winnebago brought back chassis's with IFS and a side radiator for their upscale models two or three years ago.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The ZF brand of IFS (independent front suspension) has sealed wheel bearings and needs no lubing ever. Well, until they fail, eventually.  I put 79k  miles on mine over 12 years without any sign of a problem.

Thank Gary I was thinking of that but was not sure if I had it right. Glad you are such a great resource. :)

John Canfield said:
As an FYI, only the 2004 and up Vectra/Horizon (S Body) had IFS. The Journey/Ellipse were moved up to take the place of the discontinued Vectra/Horizon and they were the usual straight axle front end. I believe Winnebago brought back chassis's with IFS and a side radiator for their upscale models two or three years ago.

Thanks John, good information. Yes our Vectra has the IFS and the side radiator.

Late in the Vectra/Horizon model's lifespan, Winnie dropped the side radiator most likely to reduce production costs. There could have been a space issue, i.e., they needed the side radiator space for something else but I'll bet saving money was the prime motivator.

Back
Top Bottom